- Explores diet strategies for preventing diseases including osteoporosis
- Summarises key management techniques for obesity, irritable bowel syndrome and oral health
- Presents the role of functional foods in promoting good health
Table of Contents
- Regulatory context in the EU; Diet and the prevention of disease; Functional foods and age-related diseases. Part 1 Bone and oral health: Diet and control of osteoporosis; Phytoestrogens and the prevention of osteoporosis; Vitamin D fortification and bone health; Calcium citrate (TTC) and bone health; Diet, functional foods and oral health. Part 2 Obesity: Nutrient-gene interactions in the control of obesity; Satiety and the control of obesity; Nutrition, fat synthesis and obesity. Part 3 Gut health and immune function: Functional foods for gut health: an overview; Analysing gut microflora; Dietary lipids and immune function; Improving gut health in the elderly; Probiotics, prebiotics and gut health. Part 4 Cancer: Anti-angiogenic functional food, degenerative disease and cancer; Synbiotics and colon cancer; Identifying antimutagenic constituents of food; Glucosinolates and the prevention of cancer; Dietary fibre, phytoestrogens and the prevention of cancer; Food phenolics and cancer chemo prevention; Vitamins and prevention of cancer; probiotics in inflammatory bowel disease; Assesing the effectiveness of probiotics, prebiotics and synbiotics in preventing disease.
- No. of pages: 792
- Language: English
- Copyright: © Woodhead Publishing 2004
- Published: June 9, 2004
- Imprint: Woodhead Publishing
- eBook ISBN: 9781855739017
About the Editors
Affiliations and Expertise
Ratings and Reviews
There are currently no reviews for "Functional Foods, Ageing and Degenerative Disease"