Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Food Waste Recovery: Processing Technologies, Industrial Techniques, and Applications, Second Edition provides information on safe and economical strategies for the recapture of value compounds from food wastes while also exploring their re-utilization in fortifying foods and as ingredients in commercial products. Sections discuss the exploration of management options, different sources, the Universal Recovery Strategy, conventional and emerging technologies, and commercialization issues that target applications of recovered compounds in the food and cosmetics industries. This book is a valuable resource for food scientists, technologists, engineers, chemists, product developers, researchers, academics and professionals working in the food industry.
- Covers food waste management within the food industry by developing recovery strategies
- Provides coverage of processing technologies and industrial techniques for the recovery of valuable compounds from food processing by-products
- Explores the different applications of compounds recovered from food processing using three approaches: targeting by-products, targeting ingredients, and targeting bioactive applications
Food scientists, technologists, engineers and chemists working in the whole food science field; new product developers, researchers, academics and professionals working in the food industry as well as researchers working on the edge of food and environment. Students studying food engineering, waste management and related topics will also benefit from this reference
Part I: Introduction
1. Food waste management, valorization, and sustainability in the food industry
2. Classification and target compounds
3. The universal recovery strategy
Part II: Conventional Techniques
4. Conventional macroscopic pretreatment
5. Conventional macro and micromolecules separation
6. Conventional extraction
7. Conventional purification and isolation
8. Conventional Product formation
Part III: Emerging Technologies
9. Emerging Macroscopic Pre-treatment
10. Emerging Macro- and micro-molecules separation
11. Emerging Extraction
12. Emerging Purification and isolation
13. Emerging Product formation
Part IV: Commercialized aspects and applications
14. Cost and safety issues of emerging technologies against conventional techniques
15. Recovery and applications of enzymes from food wastes
16. Applications of compounds recovered from olive mill waste
17. Application of compounds from grape processing by-products: Formulation of dietary fibre and encapsuled bioactive compounds
18. Plant-based by-products
19. Applications in bakery products
20. Valorization of meat by-products
21. Potential applications of food industrial by-products in the dairy industry
22. Antimicrobial compounds improve food shelf-life
23. Foods and supplements
- No. of pages:
- © Academic Press 2020
- 1st December 2020
- Academic Press
- eBook ISBN:
- Paperback ISBN:
Dr. Galanakis is an interdisciplinary scientist. He is the research and innovation director of Galanakis Laboratories (Chania, Greece) and the coordinator of the Food Waste Recovery Group of the ISEKI-Food Association (Vienna, Austria). He serves as an expert evaluator and monitor of international and regional funded programs and proposals, whereas he is an editorial board member and subject editor of Food and Bioproducts Processing and Food Research International. He has edited nine books and published ~100 articles
Galanakis Laboratories, Chania, Greece
"This is a “must-have” book and should be used in every food science curriculum. This book would also be an excellent reference book for companies in the food industry or even the food value chain, from primary production through to the retail sector." --FST Magazine
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.