Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
This updated second edition of Food Waste Recovery: Processing Technologies, Industrial Techniques, and Applications provides information on developing strategies for the recapture of value compounds from food wastes in an economical and safe way, and explores their re-utilization to fortify foods and as ingredients in commercial products. Beginning with an exploration of the management options, different sources, and the Universal Recovery Strategy in the first part, the book then discusses conventional and emerging technologies in parts two and three, respectively. The fourth and final part addresses commercialization issues in new chapters that discuss target applications of recovered compounds in the food and cosmetics industries.
Food Waste Recovery: Processing Technologies, Industrial Techniques, and Applications, Second Edition is a valuable resource for food scientists, technologists, engineers, and chemists working in the whole food science field, as well as product developers, researchers, academics, and professionals working in the food industry.
- Covers food waste management within the food industry by developing recovery strategies
- Provides coverage of processing technologies and industrial techniques for the recovery of valuable compounds from food processing by-products
- Explores the different applications of compounds recovered from food processing using three approaches: targeting by-products, targeting ingredients, and targeting bioactive applications
Food scientists, technologists, engineers and chemists working in the whole food science field; new product developers, researchers, academics and professionals working in the food industry as well as researchers working on the edge of food and environment. Students studying food engineering, waste management and related topics will also benefit from this reference
Part I: Introduction
1. Food waste management, valorization, and sustainability in the food industry
2. Classification and target compounds
3. The universal recovery strategy
Part II: Conventional Techniques
4. Conventional macroscopic pretreatment
5. Conventional macro and micromolecules separation
6. Conventional extraction
7. Conventional purification and isolation
8. Conventional Product formation
Part III: Emerging Technologies
9. Emerging Macroscopic Pre-treatment
10. Emerging Macro- and micro-molecules separation
11. Emerging Extraction
12. Emerging Purification and isolation
13. Emerging Product formation
Part IV: Commercialized aspects and applications
14. Cost and safety issues of emerging technologies against conventional techniques
15. Recovery and applications of enzymes from food wastes
16. Applications of compounds recovered from olive mill waste
17. Application of compounds from grape processing by-products: Formulation of dietary fibre and encapsuled bioactive compounds
18. Plant-based by-products
19. Applications in bakery products
20. Valorization of meat by-products
21. Potential applications of food industrial by-products in the dairy industry
22. Antimicrobial compounds improve food shelf-life
23. Foods and supplements
- No. of pages:
- © Academic Press 2021
- 1st December 2020
- Academic Press
- Paperback ISBN:
Dr. Galanakis is an interdisciplinary scientist. He is the research and innovation director of Galanakis Laboratories (Chania, Greece) and the coordinator of the Food Waste Recovery Group of the ISEKI-Food Association (Vienna, Austria). He serves as an expert evaluator and monitor of international and regional funded programs and proposals, whereas he is an editorial board member and subject editor of Food and Bioproducts Processing and Food Research International. He has edited nine books and published ~100 articles
Galanakis Laboratories, Chania, Greece
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.