This balanced examination of ethical and legal principles and issues provides vital information for radiography, ultrasound, nuclear medicine, and radiation professionals. By discussing the foundations of ethics for technologists, then entering into a discussion of applicable law, Ethical and Legal Issues for Imaging Professionals, 2nd Edition provides an approach that leads to a more successful style of personal risk management. With each chapter divided into two sections of ethical issues and legal issues, the content is easy to read and understand. Plus, learning activities and current event discussions help the readers learn and remember information so they can use it in real life.
- Imaging Scenarios spark classroom discussion and encourage students to apply what they have learned and develop critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Review Questions at the end of each chapter allow students to test their retention of chapter content.
- Critical Thinking Questions and Activities helps students examine their personal responses to various situations and encourages them to expand on their knowledge of policies and procedures.
- Professional Profiles present a brief glimpse into how ethics and law impact the daily lives of professional imaging technologists.
- Margin Definitions and Glossary provide an easily accessible resource to understanding terminology.
- Learning Objectives and Chapter Outline focus the student on the most important content.
- Ethical and Legal Foundations
2. Principles of Beneficence and Nonmaleficence
3. Caring and Communication
4. Patient Autonomy and Informed Consent
5. Truthfulness and Confidentiality
6. Death and Dying
7. Health Care Distribution
8. Student and Employee Rights
10. Overview of Future Challenges
Appendix A: Code of Ethics
Appendix B: Sample Documentation Forms
Answers to Chapter Review Questions
- No. of pages:
- © Mosby 2007
- 6th March 2007
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- Paperback ISBN:
Former Radiologic Sciences Program Director, Private Educational Consultant, Allen Memorial Hospital, Waterloo, IA; Creative Enterprises Unlimited, Cedar Falls, IA, USA
Polk City, IA, USA
Towsley-Cook, Doreen M., MAE, RT(R), FAERS; Young, Terese A., JD, RT(R), CNMT
ISBN: 978-0-323-04599-5, NLM: WN 21, LC: KF2910, 302 pages, soft cover.
[REVIEWER'S EXPERT OPINION]
Mary L Bloomfield, BA(Froedtert Hospital)
This book discusses ethics and legal issues facing imaging professionals using a somewhat unique structure where each chapter topic is separated into the ethical issues and the legal issues. This update of the 1999 edition is warranted because of the new imaging technologies and the need for relevant case studies.
The purpose is to provide students with the necessary foundation to apply professional standards, and exercise personal integrity when responding to ethical challenges they may encounter. It also provides a basic understanding of applicable law so they can become their own "risk managers." Ethical and legal issues are important subjects that imaging professionals must study, and this book is much needed in the profession. It does an excellent job of meeting the stated objectives.
According to the authors, this book is written for imaging professionals and students in the imaging profession. They do an excellent job of presenting the material at a level that can be understood by both groups. Doreen M.
Towsley-Cook is a former radiologic sciences program director and Terese A.
Young is an attorney as well as a radiologic technologist.
This book covers the important aspects of the ethical and legal issues faced on a daily basis by the imaging professional. Each chapter covers a manageable facet of the ethical and legal issues so they are easier to study and retain.
(i.e. caring and communication, autonomy and informed consent, death and dying, diversity). The chapter on healthcare distribution is particularly well done and the authors do very good job of explaining why this chapter is important in the study of ethics and legal issues. The only shortcoming is that there are no illustrations or pictures. The material can seem somewhat dry, so illustrations would help students stay focused.
This is an excellent book covering very important information for the imaging professional. Even though ethics and legal issues are covered in many of the patient care books such as Patient Care in Radiography: With An Introduction to Medical Imaging, 7th edition, Ehrlich and Daly (Elsevier, 2007), a book that deals exclusively with these topics is warranted.
Weighted Numerical Score: 92 - 4 Stars!