Digital Underwater Acoustic Communications focuses on describing the differences between underwater acoustic communication channels and radio channels, discusses loss of transmitted sound in underwater acoustic channels, describes digital underwater acoustic communication signal processing, and provides a comprehensive reference to digital underwater acoustic communication equipment.
This book is designed to serve as a reference for postgraduate students and practicing engineers involved in the design and analysis of underwater acoustic communications systems as well as for engineers involved in underwater acoustic engineering.
- Introduces the basics of underwater acoustics, along with the advanced functionalities needed to achieve reliable communications in underwater environment
- Identifies challenges in underwater acoustic channels relative to radio channels, underwater acoustic propagation, and solutions
- Shows how multi-path structures can be thought of as time diversity signals
- Presents a new, robust signal processing system, and an advanced FH-SS system for multimedia underwater acoustic communications with moderate communication ranges (above 20km) and rates (above 600bps)
- Describes the APNFM system for underwater acoustic communication equipment (including both civil and military applications), to be employed in active sonar to improve its performance
Researchers and students who major in underwater acoustic communications as well as underwater acoustic physics, underwater acoustic engineering, and ultrasonic sensing engineering; and related specialists working at developing and producing factories
- About the Authors
- Chapter 1. Introduction
- 1.1. Overview of Underwater Acoustic Communication Development
- 1.2. Peculiarities of Underwater Acoustic Communication Channels Relative to Radio Communication Channels
- 1.3. Explorations Establishing an Innovative Digital Underwater Acoustic Communication Signal Processing System
- 1.4. Communication Sonar Equation
- Chapter 2. Underwater Acoustic Communication Channels
- 2.1. Theoretical Methods of Underwater Acoustic Fields
- 2.2. Sound Transmission Loss in the Sea
- 2.3. Multipath Effects in Underwater Acoustic Communication Channels
- 2.4. Fluctuation of Transmitted Sound in Underwater Acoustic Communication Channels
- 2.5. Noise in the Sea
- Chapter 3. Digital Underwater Acoustic Communication Signal Processing
- 3.1. Some Signal-processing Techniques in Radio Communications Possible to Extensible to Underwater Acoustic Communications
- 3.2. Some Digital Underwater Acoustic Communication Systems
- 3.3. Explorations Establishing an Innovative Digital Underwater Acoustic Communication Signal-Processing System
- Chapter 4. Digital Underwater Acoustic Communication Equipment
- 4.1. Brief Introduction to Underwater Acoustic Transducers Employed in Underwater Acoustic Communication Equipment
- 4.2. Underwater Acoustic Telecontrol Communications by Using Digital Time Correlation Accumulation Decision Signal-Processing Systems
- 4.3. Development of Advanced FH-SS System Digital Multimedia Underwater Acoustic Communication Equipment
- 4.4. Explorations Developing an Innovative APNFM System Digital Underwater Acoustic Communication Equipment
- Appendix: Ultrasonic Sensing Systems in the Air Medium
- No. of pages:
- © Academic Press 2016
- 13th September 2016
- Academic Press
- eBook ISBN:
- Hardcover ISBN:
Xu Lufen, Senior engineer, master instructor, College of Ocean and earth sciences of Xiamen University and Key Laboratory of Underwater Acoustic Communication and Marine Information Technology, Ministry of Education. Vice dean of teaching and research section of marine physics of the college.
College of Ocean and earth sciences, Xiamen University
Xu Tianzeng, Professor, the supervisor of a PH.D., College of Ocean and earth sciences of Xiamen University and Key Laboratory of Underwater Acoustic Communication and Marine Information Technology, Ministry of Education. Had been appointed as director of Subtropical Marine Institute, Head of Oceanography Department, Xiamen University. Vice chairman of China Marine Physical Society.
The advanced worker of national high-new technical developing (863) program.
Professor, College of Ocean and earth science, Xiamen University and Key Laboratory of Underwater Acoustic Communication and Marine Information Technology, Ministry of Education, Fujian, China