Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Dietary Fiber for the Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease: Fiber’s Interaction between Gut Micoflora, Sugar Metabolism, Weight Control and Cardiovascular Health compiles the most up-to-date research discoveries to provide a timely and scientific rationale for the significant impact of a fiber rich diet for the prevention of heart disease.
By focusing on the science behind how fiber, both soluble and insoluble can lead to lower rates of heart disease, this important reference will educate researchers, cardiologists, medical providers and students on how to improve patients’ hearts via a fiber rich diet. Coverage includes the known mechanisms of how fiber works to reduce insulin resistance, control weight, reduce cholesterol by binding with bile, maintain stable glucose levels and influence gut microflora.
- Explains how fiber affects cardiovascular disease through the influence on insulin resistance, reduction of cholesterol, change in gut microflora and in weight control
- Provides thorough coverage of the effect of fiber on arrhythmias and valvular abnormalities
- Includes information on the indirect relationship between constipation and heart disease
Biomedical Science and Medicine
1. Why fiber matters? This chapter will introduce the argument that a diet high in fiber can reduce heart disease, maintain normal body weight, and reduce the risk of diabetes
2. The mechanism of fiber’s effects on insulin resistance
3. The interaction between insoluble and soluble fiber
4. The influence of Fiber on Gut Microflora: Butyrate as a link between dietary fiber and cardiovascular health
5. The relationship between probiotics and fiber consumption and cardiovascular health
6. Dietary fiber for prevention of vascular disease in diabetes
7. Sources of fiber
8. Conclusion: how my own patients have benefited from a high fiber diet, in their own words
- No. of pages:
- © Academic Press 2017
- 13th July 2017
- Academic Press
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Dr. Samaan is board-certified Cardiologist in the fields of Internal Medicine, Cardiology, Echocardiography and Nuclear Cardiology. He specializes in the prevention of coronary artery disease.
He is currently in private practice at Epic Cardiology as a Preventive Cardiologist. He previously worked as a Cardiology Fellow at Saint Vincent’s Hospital Manhattan and as Pediatric ER doctor at Emergency Medical Associates, Richmond University Medical Center.
Dr. Samaan has been involved in medical research in 4 continents including medical work in remote regions of South America, the Middle East and South Africa.
Dr. Samaan has written medical news articles published in major newspapers and has been a correspondent on CNBC and ABC News. He has also published in medical journals including the Texas Heart Institute Journal and the Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved.
ProgressiveMD, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.