Designing Successful Products with Plastics
Fundamentals of Plastic Part Design
- Bridges the gap between the industrial designer working on product design and use, and the part designer working on detailed part design for manufacture
- Enables designers to establish a solid foundation for new product development on the ‘four pillars’ of the process: materials, processes, tooling, and design
- Provides a hierarchy and roadmap through creative product design and implementation, so engineers can translate a product from creative concept through to realization and commercialization
Engineers and designers responsible for the design of products and component parts. Manufacturing engineers responsible for production of plastic components. Key plastics industries – automotive, aerospace, medical, packaging, electronics, consumer
Table of Contents
Section I – Background Knowledge
2. Material Selection – Which Plastic to Use?
3. Process Selection - Which Plastics Process to use?
4. Tooling - what tooling will be required?
Section II – Designing with Plastics
5. Conceptual Design – how do we begin the design process?
6. Preliminary Detailed Design
7. Final Detailed Design
Section III – Implementation of the Design
8. Gathering Production Estimates
9. Project Review and Verification – Risk Management
10. Production Implementation
11. Production Qualification and Hand-Off
Section IV - Lessons
12. Design with Plastics Practices – Creating Value through Good Design Practices
- No. of pages: 324
- Language: English
- Copyright: © William Andrew 2017
- Published: August 28, 2017
- Imprint: William Andrew
- Hardcover ISBN: 9780323445016
- eBook ISBN: 9780323446488
About the Author
Affiliations and Expertise
Ratings and Reviews
(Total rating for all reviews)
AlbertMcGovern Fri Nov 29 2019
Good Book, Great Author
This is an information-packed book, carefully and meticulously crafter by a skilled practitioner in the art of designing plastic products--and, doing so successfully.