Designing Antibodies provides a compilation of research in the design of antibodies. It describes the techniques used in antibody design, the kinds of antibodies generated through modern techniques, and their applications in medicine and science.
The book begins with an overview of the humoral immune system and of antibody structure, function, and biosynthesis, which sets the stage for the subsequent discussions of developments in antibody technology. The remaining chapters discuss the making of monoclonal antibodies; the design of antibodies for human therapy; the connection of antibodies (either chemically or genetically) to other potentially therapeutic effector molecules such as toxins, enzymes, or even an antibody of another specificity; idiotypes and anti-idiotypic antibodies; and the ability of antibodies to functionally mimic enzymes and mediate catalysis. It is hoped that, in addition to illustrating the progress of research in antibody design, the various creative and innovative approaches reviewed in this book will be modified or will stimulate new ideas that will spur the research and application of designer antibodies.
- Antibody Overview Introduction The Humoral Immune System Antibody Structure Functions of Antibodies Biosynthesis of Immunoglobulins References
- Making Monoclonal Antibodies Hybridoma Technology Making Human Monoclonal Antibodies Generating Transfectomas Immunoglobulin Gene Expression Librarians Generating Epitope Libraries References
- Designing Antibodies for Human Therapy Introduction Genetically Engineered Rodent-Human Antibodies Genetically Engineered Antibodies Lacking Fc Reactivity Novel Recombinant Antibody Fusion Proteins Summary References
- Antibody Targeting Introduction Immunotoxins Antibody-Effector Molecule Conjugates Antibodies with Dual Specificities Antibody-Targeted Liposomes Summary References
- Idiotypes and Anti-idiotypic Antibodies Idiotypes and the Idiotype Network Applications of Anti-idiotypic Antibodies Summary and Prospectus References
- Catalytic Antibodies Introduction Enzyme Kinetics and Transition-State Theory Catalytic Antibodies Summary References Appendix Index
- No. of pages:
- © Academic Press 1993
- 8th July 1993
- Academic Press
- eBook ISBN: