Learn how to understand normal body functions before learning about the mechanisms of veterinary disease. Cunningham's Textbook of Veterinary Physiology, 6th Edition approaches this vast subject in a practical, user-friendly way that helps you grasp key concepts and learn how they relate to clinical practice. From cell physiology to body system function to homeostasis and immune function, this comprehensive text provides the solid foundation needed before advancing in the veterinary curriculum.
- Expanded resources on the companion Evolve website include state-of-the-art 3D animations, practice tests, a glossary, and Clinical Correlations.
- Clinical Correlations boxes present case studies that illustrate how to apply physiology principles and concepts to the diagnosis and treatment of veterinary patients.
- Practice questions at the end of each chapter test your understanding of what you’ve just read and provide valuable review for exams.
- Key Points at the beginning of each chapter introduce new concepts and help you prepare for exams.
- Full-color format highlights helpful information and enhances learning with a wealth of illustrations that visually depict specific functions and conditions.
Section I: The Cell
1. The Molecular and Cellular Bases of Physiological Regulation
2. Cancer: A Disease of Cellular Proliferation, Life Span, and Death
Section II: Neurophysiology
3. Introduction to the Nervous System
4. The Neuron
5. The Synapse
6. The Physiology of Muscle
7. The Concept of a Reflex
8. Skeletal Muscle Receptor Organs
9. The Concept of Lower and Upper Motor Neurons and Their Malfunction
10. The Central Control of Movement
11. The Vestibular System
12. The Cerebellum
13. The Autonomic Nervous System
14. The Visual System
15. Cerebrospinal Fluid and the Blood-Brain Barrier
16. The Electroencephalogram and Sensory-Evoked Potentials
Section III: Cardiovascular Physiology
18. Overview of Cardiovascular Function
19. Electrical Activity of the Heart
20. The Electrocardiogram
21. The Heart as a Pump
22. The Systemic and Pulmonary Circulations
23. Capillaries and Fluid Exchange
24. Local Control of Blood Flow
25. Neural and Hormonal Control of Blood Pressure and Blood Volume
26. Integrated Cardiovascular Responses
Section IV: Physiology of the Gastrointestinal Tract
27. Regulation of the Gastrointestinal Functions
28. Motility Patterns of the Gastrointestinal Tract
29. Secretions of the Gastrointestinal Tract
30. Digestion and Absorption: The Nonfermentative Processes
31. Digestion: The Fermentative Processes
32. Postabsorptive Nutrient Utilization
Section V: Endocrinology
33. The Endocrine System
34. Endocrine Glands and Their Function
Section VI: Reproduction and Lactation
35. Control of Gonadal and Gamete Development
36. Control of Ovulation and the Corpus Luteum
37. Reproductive Cycles
38. Pregnancy and Parturition
39. The Mammary Gland
40. Reproductive Physiology of the Male
Section VII: Renal Physiology
41. Glomerular Filtration
42. Solute Reabsorption
43. Water Balance
44. Acid-Base Balance
Section VIII: Respiratory Function
45. Overview of Respiratory Function: Ventilation of the Lung
46. Pulmonary Blood Flow
47. Gas Exchange
48. Gas Transport in the Blood
49. Control of Ventilation
50. Nonrespiratory Functions of the Lung
Section IX: Homeostasis
51. Fetal and Neonatal Oxygen Transport
52. Acid-Base Homeostasis
Section X: The Immune System
54. Antigens and Innate Immunity
55. The Specific Immune Response: Acquired Immunity
Appendix A: Answers to Practice Questions
- No. of pages:
- © Saunders 2020
- 11th March 2019
- Hardcover ISBN:
- Hardcover ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Department of Biomedical Sciences and Pathobiology, Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine, Blacksburg, VA, USA
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.