Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Crime and Justice in America: Critical Issues of the Future is a part of the Pergamon Policy Studies and is divided in five parts reflecting five broad problem areas. This collection is from authors chosen based on their exposure to the field of criminal justice and proven expertise in a particular area. The book deals with the forecasting ability of the police for developments over the whole field of public affairs.
The first part is concerned with public law enforcement on local, county, state, and national government levels of the American federal system. A particular problem is discussed on each of these levels. The second problem area concerns the most confusing segment of the justice system – the move from the public to the private sector of criminal justice. The growth of campus, school police, and other private police is suggested to assist the public sector. The third part deals with organized crime, terrorism, and hostage negotiations as being grave threats to society. To fight them requires cooperation, even consolidation, and intelligence sources. Organized crime is discussed in the fourth section, where American penal laws are seemingly a reflection of religious mores. The last section covers personnel matters in the criminal justice system and anticipated developments after achieving professionalism in the police and correctional services.
This book is intended for scholars, practitioners, and students of criminal justice. This text can prove useful to practitioners in the fields of sociology, psychology, and public administration. This book is also recommended for investigators and private citizens interested in the study of criminal justice.
Part I - The Public Role
1. Policing: Is There a System?
2. The Future Shire Reeve - Tribune of the People
3. Future Role of the State Police in the Criminal Justice System
4. The Future of Local Law Enforcement: The Federal Role
Part II - The Private Role: Special Police
5. Private Security and Police Relations
6. Campus and School Security
Part III - Organized Crime, Terrorism and Hostage Situations
7. Intelligence beyond 1984
8. Organized Crime and Justice, beyond 1984
9. Political Terrorism
10. Police Response to Hostage Situations
Part IV - Law, Courts and Corrections
11. Criminal Courts of the Future
12. The Field of Correction
13. The Female Offender: The 1980s and beyond
Part V - Personnel in the Criminal Justice System: Anticipated Changes
14. Problems in Police Leadership
15. Lateral Entry
16. From Minority Recruitment to Professionalization: New Directions in Criminal Justice
17. The Role of Police in Pollution Control
- No. of pages:
- © Pergamon 1979
- 1st January 1979
- eBook ISBN: