Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Contemporary Practice in Clinical Chemistry, Fourth Edition, provides a clear and concise overview of important topics in the field. This new edition is useful for students, residents and fellows in clinical chemistry and pathology, presenting an introduction and overview of the field to assist readers as they in review and prepare for board certification examinations. For new medical technologists, the book provides context for understanding the clinical utility of tests that they perform or use in other areas in the clinical laboratory. For experienced laboratorians, this revision continues to provide an opportunity for exposure to more recent trends and developments in clinical chemistry.
- Includes enhanced illustration and new and revised color figures
- Provides improved self-assessment questions and end-of-chapter assessment questions
Fellows and residents of pathology and clinical chemistry, as well as laboratory professionals
1. Preanalytical Variation
2. Statistical Methods in Laboratory Medicine
3. Reference Intervals: Theory and Practice
4. Method Validation: Finding (and Fixing) the Error of Our Testing Ways
5. Quality Control
6. Laboratory Calculations
8. Chromatography and Electrophoresis
10. Mass Spectrometry
11. Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Technology and Clinical Applications
13. Nucleic Acid Probes Used in the Analysis of DNA
14. The Polymerase Chain Reaction
15. Laboratory Automation
16. Regulatory Issues
17. Principles of Laboratory Management
18. Evidence-Based Laboratory Medicine
19. Harmonization of Results Among Laboratories
20. Laboratory Information Systems
21. Point-of-Care Testing
22. Proteins: Analysis and Interpretation in Serum, Urine, and Cerebrospinal Fluid
23. Hemoglobin Variant Detection
24. Hemostasis: The View from the Clinical Chemistry Laboratory
25. Laboratory Diagnosis of Lipid and Lipoprotein Disorders
26. Biomarkers for Acute Cardiovascular Diseases and Heart Failure
27. Laboratory Diagnosis of Liver Disease
28. Clinical Chemistry of the Gastrointestinal Disorders
29. Evaluation of Exocrine Pancreatic Function
30. Carbohydrate Disorders
31. Laboratory Evaluation of Kidney Function
32. Blood Gas and Critical Care Testing
33. Water and Electrolyte Balance
35. Disorders of the Anterior and Posterior Pituitary
36. Laboratory Evaluation of Thyroid Function
37. Disorders of the Adrenal Cortex and Medulla
38. Laboratory Testing in Pregnancy and Reproductive Disorders
39. Tumor Markers
40. Calcium Biology and Disorders
41. Vitamins and Trace Elements: Functions and Assessment of Status through Laboratory Testing
42. Inborn Errors of Metabolism
43. The Porphyrias: Fundamentals and Laboratory Assessment
44. Pharmacokinetics for the Practicing Clinical Chemist
45. Therapeutic Drug Monitoring
46. Toxicology and the Clinical Laboratory
48. Applications of Molecular Techniques in the Clinical Laboratory
49. Infectious Disease
50. Pediatric Laboratory Medicine
51. Diagnostic Body Fluid Testing
- No. of pages:
- © Academic Press 2020
- 8th June 2020
- Academic Press
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Dr. William Clarke is a Professor of Pathology at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. His research focuses on the development of analytical methods for drug analysis, clinical mass spectrometry, and devices for point-of-care testing. He serves as the director of Clinical Toxicology for Johns Hopkins Hospital, as well as the Point-of-Care Testing Program for Johns Hopkins Medicine.
Professor, Department of Pathology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine Baltimore, MD, USA
Dr. Mark Marzinke is Associate Professor of Pathology and Medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.Dr. Marzinke serves as the Director of General Chemistry in the Johns Hopkins Hospital Core Laboratories, and is the Director of the Clinical Pharmacology Analytical Laboratory within the Division of Clinical Pharmacology. He is also Co-Director of the HIV Prevention Trials Network Laboratory Center.
Associate Professor, Departments of Pathology and Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine Baltimore, MD, USA
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.