Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Floating-point arithmetic is ubiquitous in modern computing, as it is the tool of choice to approximate real numbers. Due to its limited range and precision, its use can become quite involved and potentially lead to numerous failures. One way to greatly increase confidence in floating-point software is by computer-assisted verification of its correctness proofs.
This book provides a comprehensive view of how to formally specify and verify tricky floating-point algorithms with the Coq proof assistant. It describes the Flocq formalization of floating-point arithmetic and some methods to automate theorem proofs. It then presents the specification and verification of various algorithms, from error-free transformations to a numerical scheme for a partial differential equation. The examples cover not only mathematical algorithms but also C programs as well as issues related to compilation.
- Describes the notions of specification and weakest precondition computation and their practical use
- Shows how to tackle algorithms that extend beyond the realm of simple floating-point arithmetic
- Includes real analysis and a case study about numerical analysis
Graduate students in computer science; Researchers in either computer arithmetic or formal verification
1. Floating-Point Arithmetic
2. The Coq System
3. Formalization of Formats and Basic Operators
4. Automated Methods
5. Error-Free Computations and Applications
6. Example Proofs of Advanced Operators
7. Compilation of FP Programs
8. Deductive Program Verification
9. Real and Numerical Analysis
- No. of pages:
- © ISTE Press - Elsevier 2018
- 16th November 2017
- ISTE Press - Elsevier
- Hardcover ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Sylvie Boldo is a Research Director at INRIA in Orsay, France.
Guillaume Melquiond is a Researcher at INRIA in Orsay, France.
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.