- Print ISBN 9780080453811
- eBook ISBN 9780080453828
This work presents a definitive interpretation of the current status of and future trends in natural products—a dynamic field at the intersection of chemistry and biology concerned with isolation, identification, structure elucidation, and chemical characteristics of naturally occurring compounds such as pheromones, carbohydrates, nucleic acids, and enzymes. With more than 1,800 color figures, Comprehensive Natural Products II features 100% new material and complements rather than replaces the original work (©1999).
- Reviews the accumulated efforts of chemical and biological research to understand living organisms and their distinctive effects on health and medicine
- Stimulates new ideas among the established natural products research community—which includes chemists, biochemists, biologists, botanists, and pharmacologists
- Informs and inspires students and newcomers to the field with accessible content in a range of delivery formats
- Includes 100% new content, with more than 6,000 figures (1/3 of these in color) and 40,000 references to the primary literature, for a thorough examination of the field
- Highlights new research and innovations concerning living organisms and their distinctive role in our understanding and improvement of human health, genomics, ecology/environment, and more
- Adds to the rich body of work that is the first edition, which will be available for the first time in a convenient online format giving researchers complete access to authoritative Natural Products content
Chemists, biologists and pharmaceutical scientists researching naturally occurring compounds and their applications in health and medicine
Natural Products Structural Diversity-I Secondary Metabolites: Organization and Biosynthesis – fatty acids, polyketide synthases (PKS), terpenes
Natural Products Structural Diversity-II Secondary Metabolites: Sources, Structures and Chemical Biology
- marine, microorganism, bacteria
Development & Modification of Bioactivity – developing drugs from natural products; chemistry of key natural products (tea, cannabis etc)
Chemical Ecology – hormones, pheromones, chemical defence and toxins, antifeedants, allelochemicals
Amino Acids, Peptides and Proteins - natural, unnatural, sources and uses
Carbohydrates, Nucleosides & Nucleic Acids – vaccines, synthesis, enzymatic and biosynthesis of carbohydrate molecules
Cofactors –vitamins and co-factors, co-enzymes, thiamine, pyridoxal phosphate,
Enzymes and Enzyme Mechanisms – evolution, mechanism and studies;
Modern Methods for the Investigation of Natural Products – analytical techniques to investigate structures and methods used by natural product scientists.
- No. of pages:
- © 2010
- 5th March 2010
- Elsevier Science
- Print ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Advanced praise for Comprehensive Natural Products II:
Writing in the preface, renowned natural products chemist Koji Nakanishi praises “Lew Mander and Hung-Wen (Ben) Liu for having assembled an extraordinary team of editors for the nine volumes, who in turn have brought together top natural products scientists to review the respective topics…CONAP II should not be regarded merely as a reference source. Instead, one can take it from the bookshelf, flip through the pages, and go through some sections for one’s entertainment and knowledge enhancement.
Reviews of the first edition:
"A marvelous and monumental piece of work." --Journal of the American Chemical Society
"This work is essential for libraries at institutions where natural product research is seriously pursued or contemplated."