Immerse yourself in the ideas, theories, and techniques of effective communication in the workplace! Communication in Nursing, 9th Edition adopts a uniquely practical and personal approach to the demands of today’s nursing practice, providing extensive examples, exercises, and techniques that help you to apply communication skills in a variety of clinical settings. Using a conversational tone, this relatable text takes you beyond theory to show you how to understand important concepts and use communication as a tool to limit stress in your nursing practice. The 9th edition includes a new chapter which focuses on the foundation of communication and personality assessment. It also includes a new Putting it into Practice feature to help you apply your new communication skills in the work environment. In addition, updates on the topics of mindfulness, resilience and inter-collaborative communication highlight the importance of implementing these tools in practice.
- Active Learning features in every chapter promotes active, goal-directed reading.
- Wit & Wisdom boxes present selected verses and quotations relevant to chapter topics, adding interest and humor. These boxes provide moments of relief from serious topics and "a-ha" moments when theory becomes linked to practice.
- End of chapter exercises help you to master chapter techniques and strengthen your communication skills.
- QSEN preface and exercises stress how communication impacts safety and quality of care.
- Discusses the importance of interprofessional education and communication in the healthcare environment.
- Addresses the importance of "presence" in nursing — being present for clients, families, colleagues, and self.
Part 1: Packing Your Bags for the Journey of Caring, Assertive, Responsible Communication
1. Responsible, Assertive, Caring Communication in Nursing
2. The Client–Nurse Relationship: A Helping Relationship
3. Starting with YOU: Understanding Yourself to Build a Foundation for Learning
4. Solving Problems Together
5. Understanding Each Other: Communication and Culture
Part 2: Honoring Your Fellow Travelers along the Journey
6. Demonstrating Warmth
7. Showing Respect
8. Being Genuine
9. Being Empathetic
10. Using Self-Disclosure
11. Being Specific
12. Asking Questions
13. Expressing Opinions
14. Using Humor
15. Embracing the Spiritual Journey of Healthcaring: Meaning Making
Part 3: Developing Road-Worthy Practices along the Journey
16. Requesting Support
17. Overcoming Evaluation Anxiety
18. Working with Feedback
19. Using Relaxation Techniques
20. Incorporating Imagery in Professional Practice and Self Care
21. Incorporating Positive Self-Talk
22. Learning to Work Together in Groups
23. Navigating the Expanding World of Digital Communication
Part 4: Embracing the Transformative Process of the Journey
24. Learning Confrontation Skills
25. Refusing Unreasonable Requests
26. Communicating Assertively and Responsibly with Distressed Clients and Colleagues
27. Communicating Assertively and Responsibly with Aggressive Clients and Colleagues
28. Managing Team Conflict Assertively and Responsibly
29. Communicating at the End of Life
30. Continuing the Commitment to the Journey
- No. of pages:
- © Elsevier 2021
- 1st November 2019
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
President, Constant Source Seminars, Ellenton, FL