Clinical Procedures in Small Animal Veterinary Practice is your straightforward refresher in basic veterinary procedures. If as a veterinary student or graduate have you ever struggled to connect all your learning to concrete clinical practice, or felt an overpowering and urgent need for a quick, clear and reliable reprisal of basic clinical procedures, then this is the book for you. All the clinical procedures fundamental to the success of the student and practitioner are covered in clear, step-by-step format and with a wealth of colour illustrations for maximum clarity and understanding. Dogs, cats, rabbits and avian species are all dealt with.
Everything you need to know about basic procedures, but may have been afraid to ask, is presented here in one convenient volume, authored by two noted veterinary educators with years of teaching experience between them.
- All the principal basic procedures covered
- Step-by-step ‘action/rationale’ approach
- Full colour format illustrated with 250 colour figures
- Authors have long experience of teaching and training vets
Never struggle to find definitive information on basic procedures again
- Restraint, handling and administration of medicines
- Routine surgical procedures eg. neutering, caesarean section, cat bite abscesses, aural haematoma, removal of grass seeds, dental scaling and extractions. In many cases detailed illustrations and photographs will facilitate understanding.
- Suturing techniques – all types
- Laboratory procedures
- Bandaging techniques – veterinary surgeons often leave this to the nurses but should be able to perform the techniques themselves.
- Diagnostic imaging – mainly covering radiographical positioning and use of ultrasound.
- Anaesthesia – type and choice of circuits, regional anaesthesia
- Basic procedures used in the consulting room eg. squeezing anal glands, clipping nails, clipping beaks, examination of ears and eyes.
- No. of pages:
- © Saunders 2013
- 5th April 2013
- eBook ISBN:
- Paperback ISBN:
Director, Abbeydale Vetlink Veterinary Training Ltd, Gloucester, UK
"A Comprehensive review of Day 1 skills make this book, 'Clinical Procedures in Small Animal Veterinary Practice', an essential reference textbook for the new graduate...It has a good design and is easy to read with useful pictures and diagrams that complement the body of text. Its layout and format, as well as the useful index, make it quick and easy to find the information reuired, so it can be used by a young veterinary surgeon throughtout a busy dayat the practice....It is clearly targeted at new graduates and is based around the RCVS DAy 1 competences, so would complement the professional development phase. It would also be a useful textbook for veterinary students at any stage in their course as it includes guidelines with useful hints and tips on basic skills and procedures...In summary, this book would be a good choice for any new graduate in small animal or mixed practice. It will not only be useful as a reminder of the more fundamental techniques learned throughout the veterinary course, but also as a guide for more advanced or less commonly performed techniques and procedures."
Vet Record, December 2013