One of the greatest challenges facing chemists and chemical educators today is conveying the central importance and relevance of chemistry to students and society at large. The new edition of Chemistry Connections highlights the fundamental role of chemical principles in governing our everyday experiences and observations.
Introductory chemistry students and educators as well as laypersons with an inquisitiveness about the world around them will find the book an informative introduction to the context of chemistry in their lives. The book is written in a lively question-and-answer format with presentations in both lay and technical terms.
- Two levels of explanations: general, accessible ones highlight the chemical essence of the phenomenon; and technical ones using chemical principles provide more in-depth interpretation
- Indexing of questions according to key principles or terms enhances instructional use
- Figures and 3-D chemical structures illustrate the chemical concepts presented
- References to related World Wide Web sites for further exploration provide inexpensive and convient access to related information.
- Color plates enhance connections between specific topics
Very broad appeal for educated laypersons with a curiosity about science to college students taking introductory or survey courses and those professors preparing to teach such courses. Course titles include (but are not limited to): General Chemistry, Introductory Chemistry, Chemistry and Society, Science and Society.
1 Connections to Atomic Properties; 2 Connections to Gases; 3 Connections to Solutions; 4 Connections to Solids; 5 Connections to Chemical Reaction Types; 6 Connections to Acids and Bases; 7 Connections to Intermolecular Forces; 8 Connections to Phases and Phase Transitions; 9 Connections to Equilibria; 10 Connections to Thermodynamics; 11 Connections to Kinetics; 12 Connections to Light; 13 Connections to Organic Chemistry; 14 Connections to Polymers; 15 Connections to Materials; 16 Connections to Biochemistry; 17 Connections to the Environment; 18 Connections to Health
- No. of pages:
- © Academic Press 2003
- 27th March 2003
- Academic Press
- eBook ISBN:
- Paperback ISBN:
"...a very effective way to increase students' interest in chemistry...The selected examples provide a welcome dose of reality..." -Jeffrey B. Arterburn, New Mexico State University "...the authors weave in essential concepts without the reader even knowing it. The references...are EXCELLENT." -Jennifer Shepherd, Gonzaga University "...wonderful and fun...buy one...and use it every day to add relevant examples to all your chemistry courses." -Tricia Ferrett, Carleton College