Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Carotenoids: Properties, Processing, and Applications fills the gap of transfer knowledge between academia and industry, covering integral information in three critical dimensions: properties, recovery and applications. At the moment, carotenoid research is directed at particular applications, including colorants, antioxidants and recovery from plant processing by-products. These trends take into account the health, nutrition and functions of carotenoids, the new recovery efforts from underutilized sources, the extraction procedures using green solvents and technologies, and their sustainability aspects.
Written by a team of experts in the field of food chemistry, food science and technology, as well as bioresource technologists mainly from academia, the book covers the most recent advances in the field of carotenoids, while also analyzing the potential of already commercialized processes and products.
- Covers carotenoids’ properties in view of alternative sources (plant by-products, microalgae, etc.), recovery technologies and applications
- Thoroughly explores mechanistic aspects, dietary intake and recommendations surrounding the health-promoting effects of carotenoids
- Discusses the effect of processing and storage conditions in carotenoid levels and bioavailability
- Presents applications and case studies in the food industry
Food scientists and engineers, food chemists, food industry personnel and academia (including graduate students). Food processors and product developers
1. Overview of carotenoids and beneficial effects on human health
Renata Rivera-Madrid, Victor Manuel Carballo-Uicab, Yair Cárdenas-Conejo, Margarita Aguilar-Espinosa and Ramamoorthy Siva
2. Factors affecting bioaccessibility and bioefficacy of carotenoids
3. Antiobese properties of carotenoids
4. Biosynthesis of carotenoids
5. Underutilized sources of carotenoids
Ana María Gomez-Caravaca
6. Carotenoids from microalgae
7. Analysis and metabolomics of Carotenoids
PATRICIA REGAL LOPEZ
8. Carotenoids degradation and precautions during processing
Aaron Soon Liang Lim
9. 'Extraction of Carotenoids using Ionix Liquids
K. Nagendra Prasad
10. Extraction methods of carotenoids
Marcello Salvatore Lenucci
11. Applications of carotenoids as colorants
Ana Ferreira Vinha
12. Applications of carotenoids in aquaculture
Kamarul Zaman Zarkasi
13. Commercialization aspects of carotenoids
Ludmila Urszula Bogacz-Radomska, Joanna Harasym and Arkadiusz Piwowar
- No. of pages:
- © Academic Press 2019
- 27th August 2019
- Academic Press
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Charis M. Galanakis is a multidisciplinary scientist in agricultural sciences as well as food and environmental science, technology, and sustainability, with experience in both industry and academia. He is the research and innovation director of Galanakis Laboratories in Chania, Greece, an adjunct professor of King Saud University in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, and the director of Food Waste Recovery Group (SIG5) of ISEKI Food Association in Vienna, Austria. He pioneered the new discipline of food waste recovery and has established the most prominent innovation network in the field. He also serves as a senior consultant for the food industry and expert evaluator for international and regional funded programs and proposals. He is an editorial board member of Food and Bioproducts Processing, Food Research International, and Foods, has edited over 45 books, and has published hundreds of research articles, reviews, monographs, chapters, and conference proceedings.
Galanakis Laboratories, Chania, Greece
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.