Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
The finding by Emil Fischer that glucose and fructose on treatment with phenylhydrazine gave the identical osazone led him to the elucidation of stereochemistry of carbohydrates. Since then, progress in the field of carbohydrates has been amazing with the unraveling their basic structure, biosynthesis, immunology, functions, and clinical uses, for pure carbohydrates and for protein-linked carbohydrates (glycoproteins and proteoglycans).
The chapters in Carbohydrate Chemistry, Biology and Medical Applications present a logical sequence leading from the chemistry and biochemistry of carbohydrates, followed by their role in various pathological conditions, to carbohydrates as potential therapeutic and diagnostic agents.
This book offers a detailed panoramic review of the chemistry and biology of carbohydrates for chemists, biologists and health professionals. Each chapter is authored by contributors expert in the particular area of research.
- Explains how carbohydrates are important to life
- Details the chemistry, biology and medical aspects of carbohydrates
- Interdisciplinary and international team of authors
Physicians, glycobiologists, pharmaceutical scientists, and graduate students, medical libraries and institutes/corporates researching the medical aspects of carbohydrates
Preface Contributors list
- The Development of Carbohydrate Chemistry and Biology (D. Horton)
- Carbohydrate Structure Determination by Mass Spectrometry (B. Xie and C.E. Costello)
- Chemical Synthesis of Complex Carbohydrates (Z. Guo)
- Enzymatic Synthesis of Oligosaccharides and Conversion to Glycolipids (D.M. Su, H. Eguchi, C. Xia, J. Song, W. Yi, R.L. Woodward and P.G. Wang)
- Proteoglycans in the Lung (M.S. Ludwig)
- Proteoglycans of the Intervertebral Disc (P.J. Roughley)
- Small Leucine Rich-Repeat Proteoglycans of Skin (P.G. Scott)
- Functional Glycosaminoglycans in the Eye (M. Zako and M. Yoneda)
- Biological Function of Glycosaminoglycan (M. Roth, E. Papakonstantinou and G. Karakiulakis)
- Physiological, Pathophysical and Therapeutic Roles of Heparin/Heparan Sulfate (J. Xie, S. Murugesan and R.J. Linhardt)
- Carbohydrates and Cutaneous Wound Healing (A. Burd and L. Huang)
- Carbohydrates in Human Milk and Infant Formulas (G. Boehm, B. Stahl, J. Knol and J. Garssen)
- Role of Cell Surface Carbohydrates in Development and Disease (M.N. Fukuda, T.O. Akama and K. Sugihara)
- Therapeutic Use of Hyaluronan-Based Derived Products (E.A. Balazs and P.A. Band)
- Drug Delivery and Medical Applications of Chemically Modified Hyaluronan (L.Z. Avila, D.A. Gianolio, P.A. Konowicz, M. Philbrook, M.R. Santos and R.J. Miller)
- Carbohydrate Microarrays as Essential Tools of Postgenomic Medicine (X. Zhou, G.T. Carroll, C. Turchi and D. Wang)
- Carbohydrate Arrays for Basic Science and as Diagnostic Tools (T. Horlacher, J.L. de Paz and P.H. Seeberger) Subject Index
- No. of pages:
- © Elsevier Science 2008
- 4th June 2008
- Elsevier Science
- Hardcover ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Faculty of Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Othmer Institute for Interdisciplinary Studies
Pulmonary and Critical Care unit, Harvard Medical School Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, USA
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.