Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Breath Analysis presents state-of-the-art research in this specialized field, also offering guidance on how best to design the technology and conduct analysis. The book primarily focuses on the diagnosis of lung cancer, asthma and Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Diseases. The reliability, consistency and utility of the results from breath analysis depends on exhaled breath sampling procedures and tools, gas sensor array technology (sensing material and transducer), and finally, medical pertinence and interpretation. The book gives step-by-step procedures and discusses best practice solutions for problems in sample collection, sensor technology, clinical assessment, medical interpretation and data analysis.
The book's primary audience would include biomedical engineers and medical doctors, but it is also useful for hospital technicians, hospital and biomedical SME leading figures, and those in PhD level Engineering and Medicine.
- Presents an overview of existing breath analysis technology, along with their pros and cons
- Provides a tool for mapping, bridging and translating different approaches and available devices
- Covers best practices and procedures for exhaled breath collection
Bioengineers, bioengineering and medicine graduate students, electronic engineers, clinical engineers, clinician researchers in respiratory medicine and oncology
- Breathprinting: what, why, how
2. FIRST STEP: Exhaled breath: catch and store: a review of the current methodologies and devices for exhaled breath collection with the aim of integrate them in a standard and shared procedure.
3. SECOND STEP: Breath analysis: two strategies: a brief introduction of the two approaches based on analytical chemistry (spectroscopic) instruments and gas sensor arrays.
4. Sensor systems for breathprinting: a review of the current technologies for exhaled breath analysis using gas sensor arrays with the aim of integrate them in a standard and shared procedure.
5. THIRD STEP: Data analysis
An overview of the gold standard techniques for breathrpinting data analysis oriented to diagnosis.
6. FOURTH STEP: Breathrpinting based diagnosis, selected case study
Each different disease will be presented starting from the consolidated diagnostic technologies in order to define in which way breathprinting can contribute.
- Frail Individuals (COPD, OSAS, CHF)
- Lung cancer
- Breast Cancer
- Pediatric asthma
- Liver diseases
7. FIFTH STEP: Breathprinting roadmap based on expert’s opinion
An interview with experts (also including all the contributors of this ebook).
8. APPENDIX: a review of the current financed projects and initiatives in this field
- No. of pages:
- © Academic Press 2019
- 6th December 2018
- Academic Press
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Giorgio Pennazza has participated and still participates in numerous national and international projects. He is the author of over 60 publications in journals, book chapters and conference proceedings. He has been teaching in this field for the past 8 years, and his main research interest is in sensors with biomedical applications.
Associate Professor of Electronics, Head of the Unit of Electronics for Sensor Systems, Italy
In 2012 Marco Santonico was a founding member of the company INNOSENSOR Ltd., founded as a spin-off of the University of Rome "Tor Vergata." INNOSENSOR is concerned with the research and development of sensory systems, bio-sensory and their electronic and chemical interfaces. He is the author of over 50 publications in journals, book chapters and proceedings of conferences. He is actively teaching in this field and his main research interest is the development and characterization of sensors and their electronic interfaces for biomedical applications.
Assistant Professor, Universita Campus Bio-Medico di Roma, Unit of Electronics for Sensor Systems, Department of Engineering, Rome, Italy
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.