Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
- Industry development (J.A. Hargreaves, C.S. Tucker).
- Natural history and fisheries (D.C. Jackson).
- Environmental biology (J.A. Hargreaves, J.R. Tomasso Jr.).
- Reproductive physiology (J.T. Silverstein, B.C. Small).
- Genetics and breeding (W.R. Wolters, T.R. Tiersch).
- Broodfish management (A.M. Kelly).
- Hatchery management (J.L. Avery, J.A. Steeby).
- Culture methods (C.S. Tucker, J.L. Avery, D. Heikes).
- Pond hydrology (C.E. Boyd).
- Pond water quality (C.S. Tucker, J.A. Hargreaves).
- Nutrition (M.H. Li, E.H. Robinson, B.B. Manning).
- Feeds and feeding practices (E.H. Robinson, B.B. Manning, M.H. Li).
- Immunology (M.M. Moore, J.P. Hawke).
- Infectious diseases (J.P. Hawke, L.H. Khoo).
- Health management (D.J. Wise et al.).
- Bird depredation (J.F. Glahn, D.T. King).
- Cages and in-pond raceways (M.P. Masser).
- Flow-through and recirculating systems (T.M. Losordo, L.E. Ray, D.P. DeLong).
- Partitioned aquaculture systems (D.E. Brune et al.).
- Processing (D.L. Marshall).
- Marketing and economics (C.R. Engle, T.R. Hanson).
- Environmental issues (C.E. Boyd, J.A. Hargreaves). Index.
The history of channel catfish farming in the United States serves as a model for the development of pond-based aquaculture industries worldwide. Channel catfish farming is the largest and economically most important aquaculture industry in the United States. In 2003, over 300,000 metric tons (662 million pounds) of channel catfish were processed, representing about half the total United States aquaculture production. Demand for farm-raised catfish is strong, with record processing years in 2002 and 2003. In 22 chapters written by active scientists in the field, Biology and Culture of Channel Catfish comprehensively synthesizes over 30 years of research on this American icon. Throughout the book, fundamental biological aspects of channel catfish are linked to practical culture techniques.
• Latest information on reproductive physiology, genetics, and breeding
• Comprehensive treatment of catfish nutrition, feeds, and feeding practices
• Water quality management and pond dynamics
• In-depth review of immunology in channel catfish
• Practical information on diseases and health management
• Techniques for commercial culture, including innovative techniques such as raceways, recirculating systems, and partitioned aquaculture systems
• Catfish economics and marketing
• Exploration of environmental concerns, including recommended Best Management Practices
Aquaculture scientists and extension agents, environmental biologists, aquatic scientists, graduate students, government officials and policy-makers and aquaculture practitioners.
- No. of pages:
- © Elsevier Science 2004
- 30th September 2004
- Elsevier Science
- Hardcover ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Thad Cochran National Warmwater Aquaculture Center, Mississippi State University, Stoneville, MS, USA
Aquaculture Research Station, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA, USA