Applied Science in the Casting of Metals focuses on metallurgical operations.
The book first discusses the manufacture of iron and steel. Concerns include treatment of liquid iron and steel; treatment of molten iron between blast furnace and steelworks; and treatment of liquid steel. The text takes a look at casting pit practice, including ingot feeding, hot topping of alloy steels, methods of applying hot-tops, and hot-topping methods.
The selection focuses on spray steel making and continuous casting of steel. The process involved in spray steel making; the basic principles of casting of steel; and metallurgical aspects are discussed. The text describes the treatment of cast iron; treatment of non-ferrous heavy metals; treatment of aluminum and magnesium alloys; and treatment of molding sand from molds and cores.
The book explains the feeding of steel castings. Topics include development of exothermic feeding; mechanisms of alumino-thermic reactions; applications of exothermics to steel castings; and surface additions.
The text is a valuable source of data for readers interested in metallurgical operations.
1. Manufacture of Iron and Steel
2. Casting Pit Practice
Hot-topping Methods and Their Development
Hot-topping of Alloy Steels
Vacuum Treatment of Molten Steel
Chemical Degassing of Steel
Effect of Mould Additives and Fluxes on Ingot Surface Quality
Treatment of Ingot Moulds and Bottom Plates
Electroslag Refining Process
3. Spray Steel Making
4. The Continuous Casting of Steel
B. Treatment of Cast Iron
5. Cast Iron
C. Treatment of Heavy Non-Ferrous metals
6. Copper and Heavy Non-ferrous Casting Alloys
D. Treatment of Aluminium Alloys
7. The Treatment of Aluminium and Aluminium Alloys
E. Treatment of Magnesium Alloys
8. The Treatment of Magnesium Alloys
F. Treatment of Moulding Sand for Moulds and Cores
9. Moulding and Core Sands
10. Coatings for Moulds and Cores
11. Sand Additives
G. Gravity and Pressure Die-Casting
12. Treatment of Dies with Coatings for Gravity and Pressure Die
H. Feeding of Castings
13. Solidification of Castings: General Principles of Feeding
14. The Feeding of Steel Castings
15. The Feeding of Iron Castings
16. The Feeding of Copper Base Castings
17. The Feeding of Light Alloy Castings
- No. of pages:
- © Pergamon 1970
- 1st January 1970
- eBook ISBN: