Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
1. Background and Type of Textile Materials Processed in Textile Industry
2. Techno-economic Analysis of Present Process in Textile Industry
3. Biotechnological Approaches in Desizing of Textile Materials
4. Biotechnological Approaches in Scouring of Textile Materials
5. Biotechnological Approaches in Bleaching of Textile Materials
6. Biotechnological Approaches in Dyeing of Textile Materials
7. Biotechnological Approaches in Printing of Textile Materials
8. Biotechnological and Nano-biotechnological Approaches in Finishing of Textile Materials
9. Biotechnological and Nano-biotechnological Approaches in Treatment of Textile Effluents
10. Conclusion on Biotechnology in Textile Production and Future Scope
Applications of Biotechnology for Sustainable Textile Production is a practical guide to the fundamentals, methods, and future prospects for sustainable biotechnological and nanobiotechnological approaches to textile production.
The textile industry is highly motivated to reduce its use of natural resources, reduce waste, and cost. Processes such as dyeing, printing and finishing fabrics traditionally require a lot of water and can produce hazardous wastes as a by-product. In order to help improve these processes, this book evaluates different technologies, comparing them as ways of saving water, energy, material waste, and time, in addition to the reduction of wastewater and sludge. Technologies investigated include enzymatic treatments, ultrasonic treatments, advanced cotton fiber pre-treatment to increase dye receptivity, nano-biotechnology, plasma technology, and foam technology in the finishing process. Health risk assessments and complications resulting from usage of chemicals and other traditional processing technologies are also examined.
- Addresses all five main stages of textile processing, including pre-treatment, dyeing, finishing, drying, and quality control
- Provides an overview of the techno-economic context of the modern textile industry, explaining where sustainability fits with other priorities
- Includes case studies throughout showing how these methods can be used for sustainable textile production
Sustainability managers and life cycle assessment professionals in the textiles and fashion sector
- No. of pages:
- © Woodhead Publishing 2021
- 1st September 2021
- Woodhead Publishing
- Paperback ISBN:
O.L. Shanmugasundaram is a Professor in the Department of Textile Technology at K.S. Rangasamy College of Technology, India. He has been teaching courses in wet processing, environmental science and engineering and applications of biotechnology in the textiles industry for 7 years. He has also published 52 research papers, and presented 38 papers at international conferences. He has contributed 3 book chapters, is an acting editorial board member and reviewer for many refereed journals, and is acting as organizing committee member  and scientific committee member  for many International and National Conferences in India and abroad.
Professor, Department of Textile Technology, K.S. Rangasamy College of Technology, India
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.