Many of the contributors working in both fields over many decades were in close collaboration with the late Prof. H. Ti Tien, the founding editor of this book series. There are also chapters written by some of the younger generation of scientists included in this series. This volume keeps in mind the broader goal with both systems, planar lipid bilayers and spherical liposomes, which is the further development of this interdisciplinary field worldwide.
* Explores the planar lipid bilayer systems and spherical liposomes from both theoretical and experimental perspectives
* Serves as an indispensable source of information for new scientists
1. Ion Permeability of Membranes: From Lipid Bilayers to Biological Membranes
Ingolf Bernhardt, J. Clive Ellory, John S. Gibson, and Robert J. Wilkins
2. Shape Transformations of Amphiphilic Membranes
3. Membrane Nanotubes in Urothelial Cell Line T24
Marusa Lokar, Sarka Perutkova, Veronika Kralj-Iglic, Ales Iglic, and Peter Veranic
4. Cytoskeletal Control of Red Blood Cell Shape: Theory and Practice of Vesicle Formation
N. Gov, J. Cluitmans, P. Sens, and G.J.C.G.M. Bosman
5. Lipid Membranes as Tools in Nanotoxicity Studies
Damjana Drobne and Veronika Kralj-Iglic
6. Structure and Function of Biomembranes and Membrane Phospholipids of Rat Salivary Glands: Properties of Liposome- and Plasma Membrane-Induced Membrane Fusion and Consequent Amylase Release from Isolated Secretory Granules
7. Influenza A M2: Channel or Transporter?
David D. Busath