Table of Contents
- 1. Desertification and Its Relation to Climate Variability and Change -Daniel Hillel and Cynthia Rosenzweig
2. Fate and Transport of Viruses in Porous Media -Yan Jin and Markus Flury
3. Current Capabilities and Future Needs of Root Water and Nutrient Uptake Modeling -Jan W. Hopmans and Keith L. Bristow
4. Micronutrients in Crop Production -N.K. Fageria, V.C. Baligar, and R.B. Clark
5. Soil Science in Tropical and Temperate Regions- Some Differences and Similarities -Alfred E. Hartemink
6. Responses of Agricultural Crops to Free-Air CO2 Enrichment - B.A. Kimball, K. Kobayashi, and M. Binidi
7. The Agronomic and Economic Potential of Break Crops for Ley/Arable Rotations in Temperate Organic Agriculture - M.C. Robson, S.M. Fowler, N.H. Lampkin, C. Leifert, M. Leitch, D. Robinson, C.A. Watson, and A.M. Litterick
About the Serial Volume Editor
Donald L. Sparks is the S. Hallock du Pont Chair in Soil and Environmental Chemistry, Francis Alison Professor and Director of the Delaware Environmental Institute at the University of Delaware. He is internationally recognized for his landmark research on the kinetics and mechanisms of metal/oxyanion/nutrient reactions at biogeochemical interfaces. His pioneering studies on kinetic processes in soils and minerals include the development of widely used and novel kinetic methods, elucidation of rate-limiting steps and mechanisms over a range of spatial and temporal scales, and coupling of real-time kinetic studies with in-situ molecular scale investigations. His discoveries on the speciation, formation rates and stability mechanisms of metal hydroxide surface precipitates, and their role in the retention and bioavailability of toxic metals in the terrestrial environment, have received worldwide attention. This research has led to more effective soil remediation strategies and predictive models.
He is the author or coauthor of 286 publications. These include: 11 edited books, 53 book chapters, and 219 refereed papers. He is the author of two widely adopted textbooks, Kinetics of Soil Chemical Processes and Environmental Soil Chemistry (two editions) published by Academic Press. Dr. Sparks is an ISI Highly Cited Researcher; his research has been cited more than 8380 times and his h-index is 53 (Web of Science). Dr. Sparks has served as editor of Advances in Agronomy since 1991, having edited 77 volumes. He has given over 200 invited presentations at scientific conferences throughout the world, and been a lecturer at 98 universities and institutes in North America, Europe, Asia, and Australia.
He has received numerous honors and awards including Fellow of five scientific societies, national and international research awards, distinguished fellowships and lectureships, and teaching and mentoring awards. He has advised 90 graduate students and postdoctoral researchers and been the recipient of more than $50 million in research funding. He served as President of both the Soil Science Society of America and the International Union of Soil Sciences.