Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Advanced Security and Safeguarding in the Nuclear Power Industry: State of the art and future challenges presents an overview of a wide ranging scientific, engineering, policy, regulatory, and legal issues facing the nuclear power industry. Editor Victor Nian and his team of contributors deliver a much needed review of the latest developments in safety, security and safeguards (“Three S’s”) as well as other related and important subject matters within and beyond the nuclear power industry. This book is particularly insightful to countries with an interest in developing a nuclear power industry as well as countries where education to improve society’s opinion on nuclear energy is crucial to its future success.
Advanced Security and Safeguarding in the Nuclear Power Industry covers the foundations of nuclear power production as well as the benefits and impacts of radiation to human society, international conventions, treaties, and standards on the “Three S’s”, emergency preparedness and response, and civil liability in the event of a nuclear accident.
- The socio-technical and economic risks of civilian and military applications of atomic energy
- Putting into perspective the hazards of radioactive sources and health impacts of exposure to radiation
- Prevention and protection against severe nuclear accidents with a much needed update on lessons learnt from “Fukushima”
- International conventions, treaties, legal frameworks, standards and best practices on “Three S’s”, emergency preparedness and response, and civil liability
- Evolving technological and institutional challenges facing the nuclear power industry in the future
Nuclear industry practitioners, scientists and engineers, and lawyers, educators, and policy makers.
1. Recent advances in nuclear power technologies
2. Non-power applications— new missions for nuclear energy to be delivered safely and securely
3. Radiation hazards from the nuclear fuel cycle
4. Health effects of exposure to ionizing radiation
5. Nuclear plant severe accidents: challenges and prevention
6. Nuclear off-site emergency preparedness and response: key concepts and international normative principles
7. International conventions and legal frameworks on nuclear safety, security, and safeguards
8. Civil liability in the event of a severe nuclear disaster
9. Future challenges in safety, security, and safeguards
- No. of pages:
- © Academic Press 2020
- 5th August 2020
- Academic Press
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Dr. Victor Nian is a Senior Fellow at the Energy Studies Institute (ESI), National University of Singapore (NUS). Dr. Nian holds a PhD in Mechanical Engineering and a Bachelor in Electrical Engineering with a Minor in Management of Technology, all from NUS. At ESI, the main focus of his research is on the peaceful and strategic use of atomic energy. His research portfolio also covers a wide spectrum of energy issues with focus on technology management and industrial policies. Dr. Nian is the founder and the Executive Director of UNiLAB on Integrated Systems Analysis Tools, which hosts a research network of more than fifteen academic and research organisations from around the world. He is also a Visiting Fellow at the University of Cambridge and an Adjunct Professor at Tianjin University of Commerce. Dr. Nian was previously the President of the Engineering Alumni Singapore, the official alumni society for NUS established in 1972, for three consecutive terms.
Senior Fellow, Energy Studies Institute, National University of Singapore, Singapore and Executive Director, UNiLAB on Integrated Systems Analysis Tools, National University of Singapore, Singapore
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.