Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Advanced Security and Safeguarding in the Nuclear Power Industry: State of the art and future challenges presents an overview of a wide ranging scientific, engineering, policy, regulatory, and legal issues facing the nuclear power industry. Editor Victor Nian and his team of contributors deliver a much needed review of the latest developments in safety, security and safeguards (“Three S’s”) as well as other related and important subject matters within and beyond the nuclear power industry. This book is particularly insightful to countries with an interest in developing a nuclear power industry as well as countries where education to improve society’s opinion on nuclear energy is crucial to its future success.
Advanced Security and Safeguarding in the Nuclear Power Industry covers the foundations of nuclear power production as well as the benefits and impacts of radiation to human society, international conventions, treaties, and standards on the “Three S’s”, emergency preparedness and response, and civil liability in the event of a nuclear accident.
- The socio-technical and economic risks of civilian and military applications of atomic energy
- Putting into perspective the hazards of radioactive sources and health impacts of exposure to radiation
- Prevention and protection against severe nuclear accidents with a much needed update on lessons learnt from “Fukushima”
- International conventions, treaties, legal frameworks, standards and best practices on “Three S’s”, emergency preparedness and response, and civil liability
- Evolving technological and institutional challenges facing the nuclear power industry in the future
Nuclear industry practitioners, scientists and engineers, and lawyers, educators, and policy makers.
1. Recent advances in nuclear power technologies
2. Non-power applications— new missions for nuclear energy to be delivered safely and securely
3. Radiation hazards from the nuclear fuel cycle
4. Health effects of exposure to ionizing radiation
5. Nuclear plant severe accidents: challenges and prevention
6. Nuclear off-site emergency preparedness and response: key concepts and international normative principles
7. International conventions and legal frameworks on nuclear safety, security, and safeguards
8. Civil liability in the event of a severe nuclear disaster
9. Future challenges in safety, security, and safeguards
- No. of pages:
- © Academic Press 2020
- 4th August 2020
- Academic Press
- eBook ISBN:
- Paperback ISBN:
"This is a great book that clearly presents the most relevant aspects related to Security and Safeguarding in the nuclear sector. It is a pleasure to read and truly informative. Essential reading for everybody involved in the nuclear sector or with an interest in nuclear power."
By Giorgio Locatelli, PhD CEng FHE
Chair in Project Business Strategy, University of Leeds
"A wide-ranging authoritative specialist resource on nuclear safety, security and safeguards that strides across the boundaries of technology, policy and the law for both current and advanced nuclear systems."
By Tony Roulstone, MA CEng Fi Mech E
Inaugural Course Director Cambridge Masters in Nuclear Energy and former MD of Rolls-Royce Nuclear
"This is an important book, at a critical time, on a vital subject. The international community is facing two existential threats – climate change and nuclear war. At the center of both of these challenges is civil nuclear energy. It is rising in importance as a zero-carbon energy source as the globe grapples with the inexorable rise of greenhouse gases. And it is a dual-use technology that can be diverted from peaceful uses to weapons purposes if there is a breach in the domestic and international controls. Advancing Security and Safeguarding in the Nuclear Power Industry offers expert and comprehensive descriptions and analysis of the key elements of the civil nuclear industry, how they can be managed to support the essential goals of achieving zero-carbon emissions while preventing nuclear proliferation and terrorism, and how the global community can and should prepare for future nuclear technology challenges. It is an essential read for those who understand that a key element of the future will be the nuclear-climate-global security nexus."
By Kenneth N. Luongo
President, Partnership for Global Security and Co-Chair of the Global Nexus Initiative
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.