Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Advanced High Strength Natural Fibre Composites in Construction provides the basic framework and knowledge required for the efficient and sustainable use of natural fiber composites as a structural and building material, along with information on the ongoing efforts to improve the efficiency of use and competitiveness of these composites.
Areas of particular interest include understanding the nature and behavior of raw materials and their functional contributions to the advanced architectures of high strength composites (Part 1), discussing both traditional and novel manufacturing technologies for various advanced natural fiber construction materials (Part 2), examining the parameters and performance of the composites (Part 3), and finally commenting on the associated codes, standards, and sustainable development of advanced high strength natural fiber composites for construction. This exposition will be based on well understood environmental science as it applies to construction (Part 4).
The book is aimed at academics, research scholars, and engineers, and will serve as a most valuable text or reference book that challenges undergraduate and postgraduate students to think beyond standard practices when designing and creating novel construction materials.
- Presents the first comprehensive review on the efficient and sustainable use of natural fiber composites in construction and building materials
- Contains detailed information on the structure, chemical composition, and physical and mechanical properties of natural fibers
- Covers both traditional and novel manufacturing technologies for high strength natural fiber composites
- Includes material parameters and performance in use, as well as associated codes, standards, and applied case studies
- Presents contributions from leading international experts in the field
R&D Managers, in materials, manufacturing, and construction; environmental policy makers
Part 1 Natural fibres as raw materials for high strength composites: their nature and behaviour
2. Chemical compositions of nature fibres
3. Physical and mechanical properties of natural fibre
Part 2 Advanced design and manufacturing of high strength natural fibre composites
4. Nanocellulose biocomposites
5. Functional pretreatments of natural raw materials
6. Cellulose-polymer composites (WPC)
7. Long natural fibre composites (high strength natural fibre composites)
8. Cellulose fibre-based reinforced composites
9. Natural fibre inorganic composites (cement fibre composites)
10. Natural fibre rebar cementitious composites
11. Bamboo fibre-based composites
12. Straw fibre-based construction materials
Part 3 Performance in use
13. Electricity functional compsites
14. Sound insulation functional composites
15. Temperature sensitive colour-changed composites
16. Architectural (decorative) natural fibre composites for construction
17. Short term and long term properties of natural fibre composites
18. Creep and duration of load of natural fibre composites
19. Flame retardant natural fiber composites
Part 4 Intelligent construction and sustainability using high strength natural fibre composites
20. Design characteristics, codes and standards of natural fibre composites
21. Sustainability and life assessment of high strength natural fibre composites in construction
22. Future scope and intelligence of natural fibre based construction composites
- No. of pages:
- © Woodhead Publishing 2017
- 12th October 2016
- Woodhead Publishing
- Hardcover ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Professor Dr. Mizi Fan is Chair in Low Carbon and Energy Materials and Civil Engineering, Head of Research, Department of Civil Engineering, and Director for the Nanocellulose and Bio-composites Research Centre, Brunel RISE (Research Institute for Sustainable Engineering) and ‘Grow2Build’ European Centre of Excellence at Brunel University, United Kingdom. He teaches all aspects of civil engineering materials, construction and sustainability to undergraduate and postgraduate students, and his principle research interests have included fibre science and technology (nanocellulose, particle and aerogel), composites, recycling and sustainability in construction. He is an author, or co-author, of over 150 technical papers and author of five text books on nano particles, natural fibre composites and new products, and management, recycling and reuse of waste composites. Professor Fan is the editor of five international journals on materials, construction and the environment. He has been the co-ordinator for 12 complex EU FP5, FP6 and FP7 projects and acted as external expert proposal evaluator for the European Commission, and Greek and Austria government departments.
Chair in Low Carbon Materials and Civil Engineering, Director, Nanocellulose and Bio Composites Research Centre, Director, Brunel Institute for Sustainable Engineering, School of Engineering and Design, Brunel University London, UK
Professor Dr. Feng Fu is Director of Research Management, Head of International Collaborative-innovation Team of Value-added Technology, Chief Expert of Natural Fibre-based Functional Materials and Design and Manufacturing of Bio-based Composites, Chinese Academy of Forestry (CAF), PR of China. He is a Fellow of the International Academy of Wood Science, Secretary General of Technology Innovation Alliance of Wood/Bamboo Industry, and Secretary General of Wood Industry Branch, Chinese Society of Forestry. Professor Fu’s research has primarily focused on wood-based functional composites and composite innovations. His group has developed a variety of functional products, such as electromagnetic shielding composites, fireproofing composites, soundproof composites and temperature sensitive color-changed composites. Professor Fu has coordinated numerous scientific research projects. He is an author, or co-author, of over 160 papers and six text books, and holds over 30 patents. He is the editor of three international journals.
Director of Research Management, Chief Expert, Wood Functional Composite Materials, Chief Expert, Natural Fibre-based Functional Materials and Design and Manufacturing of Bio-based Composites, Head of International Collaborative-innovation Team of Value-added Technology, Chinese Academy of Forestry, PR of China