Get all the essential information you need to effectively treat and manage patients in a complex acute care setting with Acute Care Handbook for Physical Therapists, 5th Edition. This easy-to-follow guide is the perfect resource to help any rehabilitation professional better understand and interpret hospital protocol, safety, medical-surgical "lingo," and the many aspects of patient care in the hospital setting — from the emergency department to the intensive care unit to the general ward. And with extensively updated content reflecting the latest evidence-based information, this new fifth edition contains everything you need to succeed in today’s fast-paced acute care environment.
- Evidenced-based information is woven throughout the guide to ensure you are equipped with the proven knowledge needed to manage the acuity of patients in the hospital environment.
- Up-to-date content on medications, laboratory tests, diagnostics, and intervention methods that is relevant to patients in the acute care environment helps you gain insight on how these aspects are affected by the acute care setting.
- Easy-to-read algorithms, tables, boxes, and clinical tips highlight key information and makes finding and understanding information easier.
Part 1: Introduction
1. The Acute Care Setting
2. The Medical Record
Part 2: Systems
3. Cardiac System
Appendix: Description of ECG Characteristics and Associated Causes
Appendix: Common Rhythm Disturbances
4. Pulmonary System
5. Musculoskeletal System
6. Nervous System
7. Vascular System and Hematology
8. Gastrointestinal System
9. Genitourinary System
10. Endocrine System
Part 3: Diagnoses
12. Integumentary System
13. Infectious Diseases
Appendix: Immune System Disorders
14. Organ Transplantation
15. Fluid and Electrolyte Imbalances
17. Physical Therapy Considerations for Patients who Complain of Chest Pain
Part 4: Interventions
18. Medical-Surgical Equipment in the Acute Care Setting
Appendix: Mechanical Ventilation
Appendix: Circulatory Assist Devices
19. Pharmacologic Agents
20. Anesthesia: Perioperative and Postoperative Considerations
21. Pain Management
22. Airway Clearance
23. Outcome Measures
Appendix: Functional Tests
- No. of pages:
- © Elsevier 2019
- 12th October 2019
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Clinical Associate Professor, Division of Physical Therapy, Walsh University, North Canton, OH; Associate Clinical Professor, Department of Physical Therapy, Bouve College of Health Sciences, Northeastern University, Boston, MA
Lahey Clinic, Burlington, MA
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.