3D Printing in Medicine examines the emerging market of 3D-printed biomaterials and its clinical applications. With a particular focus on both commercial and premarket tools, the book looks at their applications within medicine and the future outlook for the field.
The book begins with a discussion of the fundamentals of 3D printing, including topics such as materials, and hardware. Chapters go on to cover applications within medicine such as computational analysis of 3D printed constructs, personalized 3D printing and 3D cell and organ printing. The concluding chapters in the book review the applications of 3D printing in diagnostics, drug development, 3D-printed disease models and 3D printers for surgical practice.
With a strong focus on the translation of 3D printing technology to a clinical setting, this book is a valuable resource for scientists and engineers working in biomaterial, biomedical, and nanotechnology based industries and academia.
- Provides a comprehensive and authoritative overview of all the medical applications of 3D printing biomaterials and technologies
- Focuses on the emerging market of 3D printed biomaterials in clinical applications
- Reviews both commercial and under development materials, tools, their applications, and future evolution
Scientists and engineers in biomaterial, biomedical and nanotechnology based industries. Biomaterials/engineering post-grads
1. Introduction to 3D printing in medicine
2. Hardware: 3D printing families: "Laser, Powder, nozzle-based techniques"
3. Materials for 3D printing in Medicine: metals, polymers, ceramics, hydrogels
4. Computational analysis of 3D printed constructs: design, simulation and prediction
5. Patient specific in situ 3D printing
6. 3D Printed Pharmaceutical Products
7. 3D-Printed In Vitro Disease Models
8. 3D Printers for surgeons practice
9. High-resolution 3D printing for healthcare underpinned by small scale fluidics
10. Four dimension printing in healthcare
- No. of pages:
- © Woodhead Publishing 2017
- 29th April 2017
- Woodhead Publishing
- Hardcover ISBN:
Dr. Deepak M. Kalaskar is Lecturer in Nanotechnology and Biomedical Engineering at the Division of Surgery & Interventional Science, and the Centre for Nanotechnology & Regenerative Medicine, University College London (UCL). He is also Deputy Director of postgraduate course in Burns, Plastic, and Reconstructive surgery at UCL. He is the Fellow of Higher Education Academy (HEA), UK, and actively involved in teaching and research in the areas of Biomaterials and Tissue Engineering. He is part of a working group for the development of a 3D printing platform for medical devices and redistributed manufacturing using 3D printing(RDM-3DP) established by the Engineering Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC). He is a reviewer for several internationally reputed journals and editorial board member for several journals in the field of stem cells, 3D printing, biomaterials and nanotechnology. He has previously edited two books and contributed to several invited book chapters in the field of surgery, nanotechnology, stem cells and biomaterials.
University College London, UK