Level of Detail for 3D GraphicsBy
- David Luebke, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA, USA
- Martin Reddy, CEO, Code Reddy
- Jonathan Cohen, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland, U.S.A.
- Amitabh Varshney, University of Maryland, College Park, MD, U.S.A.
- Benjamin Watson, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL, U.S.A.
- Robert Huebner, Nihilistic Software, Novato, CA, U.S.A.
Level of detail (LOD) techniques are increasingly used by professional real-time developers to strike the balance between breathtaking virtual worlds and smooth, flowing animation. Level of Detail for 3D Graphics brings together, for the first time, the mechanisms, principles, practices, and theory needed by every graphics developer seeking to apply LOD methods.
Continuing advances in level of detail management have brought this powerful technology to the forefront of 3D graphics optimization research. This book, written by the very researchers and developers who have built LOD technology, is both a state-of-the-art chronicle of LOD advances and a practical sourcebook, which will enable graphics developers from all disciplines to apply these formidable techniques to their own work.
Published: July 2002
Imprint: Morgan Kaufmann
"A textbook treatment of the concepts, theories, algorithms and data structures essential for modeling detailed three-dimensional graphic worlds. The authors provide a conceptual framework for striking the tricky balance between increasing levels of detail (LOD) and the need for smooth, flowing animation. This technical reference will be of use to professionals in game development, computer animation, information visualization, and virtual reality fields." - Design Issues
- PrefaceForewordPart I: Generation1. Introduction2. Mesh Simplification3. Error MetricsPart II: Application4. Runtime Frameworks5. Catalog of Useful Algorithms6. Gaming Optimizations7. Terrain Level of DetailPart III: Advanced Issues8. Perceptual Issues 9. Measuring Visual Fidelity 10. Temporal LODGlossaryBibliography