Antioxidants in Disease Mechanisms and Therapy, 38
Antioxidants in Disease Mechanisms and Therapeutic Strategies
- J. August, John Hopkins University; Department of Pharmacology, Baltimore, Maryland, U.S.A.
- Ferid Murad, University of Texas Medical School, Houston, U.S.A.
- M. Anders, University of Rochester; Department of Pharmacology, New York, U.S.A.
- Joseph Coyle, McLean Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Belmont, Massachusetts, U.S.A.
- Lester Packer, University of California, Berkeley, U.S.A.
Students and researchers in pharmacology, biochemistry, and other biomedical disciplines. Academic neurologists, neuroscientists, and immunologists.
Advances in Pharmacology
Published: October 1996
Imprint: Academic Press
"Recommended not only to pharmacologists but also to all those in related disciplines."
Praise for the Serial, --NATURE
"The works do represent an extensive compilation of recent data by outstanding researchers in this area. They are generally scientifically excellent, the bibliographies are good, and the individual reports are clear, concise, and extremely well illustrated."
--H.E. Kaufmann in CHEMOTHERAPY
"Superb reading material."
--JOURNAL OF PHARMACEUTICAL SCIENCES
"...a must in the library of researchers in the area of free radical biology... it presents an invaluable indepth critical coverage of topics inherent in the 'antioxidant literature' and ranging from basic physical chemistry concepts to clinical therapy, prevention, and epidemiological perspectives... an excellent book, highly recommended, on topics of great current interest."
Praise for the Volume, --Enrique Cadenas for FREE RADICAL RESEARCH
"Comprehensive, concise, well-referenced and original, this book also includes appropriate illustrations to explain the text... This book covers the complete spectrum of the topics dealing with molecular actions of natural and synthetic antioxidants and their potential role in disease states and therapeutic strategies."
--Arshad Rahman, PhD, Rush Medical College of Rush University for DOODY'S PUBLISHING REVIEWS
"Comprehensive, concise, well-referenced and original, this book also includes appropriate illustrations to explain the text. The layout is simple and appealing... Weighted numerical score: 90 - 4 stars!"
--Arshad Rahman in DOODY PUBLISHING
- Natural Antioxidants:B. Halliwell, Antioxidants: The Basics--What They are and How to Evaluate Them.A.M. Bode, Metabolism of Vitamin C in Health and Disease.M.G. Traber, Regulation of Human Plasma Vitamin E.M.E. Anderson, Glutathione and Glutathione Delivery Compounds.L. Packer, S. Roy, and C.K. Sen, a-Lipoic Acid: A Metabolic Antioxidant and Potential Redox Modulator of Transcription.R.J. Reiter, Antioxidant Actions and Melatonin.E. Lovaas, Antioxidative and Metal Chelating Effects of Polyamines.L.G. Korkina and I.B. Afanas'ev, Antioxidant and Chelating Properties of Flavonoids.Synthetic Antioxidants and Enzyme Mimics:J.-B. Galey, Potential Use of Iron Chelators Against Oxidative Damage.I.A. Cotgreave, N-Acetylcysteine: Pharmacological Considerations, Experimental and Clinical Applications.H. Sies and H. Masumoto, Ebselen as a Glutathione Peroxidase Mimic and as a Scavenger of Peroxynitrite.S.R. Doctrow, K. Huffman, C.B. Marcus, W. Musleh, A. Bruce, M. Baudry, and B. Malfroy, Salen Manganese Complexes: Combined Superoxide Dismutase/Catalase Mimics with Broad Pharmacological Efficacy.Antioxidant Enzyme Induction and Pathophysiology: A.C. Allison, Antioxidant Drug Targeting.T. Primiano, T.R. Sutter, and T.W. Kensier, Antioxidant-Inducible Genes.G. Powis, J.R. Gasdaska, and A. Baker, Redox Signaling and the Control of Cell Growth and Death.R.A. Floyd, Protective Action of Nitrone Based Free Radical Traps Against Oxidative Damage to the Central Nervous System.J.B. de Haan, E.J. Wolvetang, F. Cristiano, R. Iannello, C. Bladier, M.J. Kelner, and I. Kola, Reactive Oxygen Species and Their Contribution to Pathology in Down Syndrome.P.G. Winyard and D.R. Blake, Antioxidants Redox-Regulated Transciption Factor and Inflammation.Disease Processes:H. Esterbauer, R. Schmidt, and M. Hayn, Relationships between Oxidation of LDL, Antioxidant Protection and Atherosclerosis.S. Louie, B. Halliwell, and C.E. Cross, Adult Respiratory Distress Syndrome: A Radical Perspective.A. van der Vliet, J.P. Eiserich, G.P. Marelich, B. Halliwell, and C.E. Cross, Oxidative Stress in Cystic Fibrosis: Does It Occur and Does It Matter?A. Taylor and T. Nowell, Oxidative Stress and Antioxidant Function in Relation To Risk for Cataract.J.T. Landrum, R.A. Bone, and M.D. Kilburn, The Macular Pigment: A Possible Role in Protection from Age-Related Macular Degeneration.D.P.R. Muller, Neurological Disease.W. Dröge, A. Grob, V. Hack, R. Kinscherf, M. Schykowski, M. Bockstette, S. Mihm, and D. Galter, Role of Cysteine and Glutathione in HIV Infection and Cancer Cachexia-Therapeutic Intervention with N-Acetyl-Cysteine.C.S. Lieber, Role of Oxidative Stress and Antioxidant Therapy in Alcoholic and Nonalcoholic Liver Disease.B. Heller, V. Burkart, E. Lampeter, and H. Kolb, Antioxidant Therapy for the Prevention of Type I Diabetes.K. Scharfetter-Kochanek, Photoaging of the Connective Tissue of the Skin, Its Prevention and Therapy.S. Taylor, Antioxidant Nutrients and Cancer Incidence and Mortality: An Epidemiologic Perspective.Chapter References.Subject Index.