Power of Research Performance Data in Strategic Planning 研究表現數據在策略規劃中的力量
Many institutions today face the challenge of collecting high quality data and deriving meaningful insights which enable informed decision making related to funding allocations, research policies and strategies. In today’s event we will highlight the following:
- What is Topic Prominence in Science and what is its methodology so universities can decide which areas of research should put in the spotlight? 什麼是熱門研究主題? 它的方法是什麼? 讓大學可以決定哪些研究領域成為焦點？
- How can Topic Prominence help develop research strategy and provide unique insight into identifying new, emerging research trends? Topic Prominence 如何有助於制定研究策略並提供獨特的見解，以了解全新或新興的研究趨勢？
- How does University of New South Wales leverages SciVal to enable research excellence and align strategic initiatives with the university’s goals? 澳洲新南威爾士大學如何利用 SciVal 實現卓越研究並配合學校目標制定策略規劃？
- How does National Taipei University of Science & Technology benchmark their research strengths, boost international collaboration and foster University-Industry Collaboration? 國立臺北科技大學如何利用其研究優勢，促進國際合作並培養學校與產業間的合作？
- Provide strategic planning directions using ranking data as THE/QS Subject classifications for subject ranking have been incorporated into SciVal. 介紹 SciVal 新功能 - THE/QS 學科排名數據分析，如何透過研究數據提供排名上的策略建議方向
- Highlight the advantages of linking Scopus and SciVal APIs with university systems in order to obtain desired results? 說明 Scopus及 SciVal API與學校系統串聯的優點，以進一步進行數據加值運用
Date: October 3, 2018, Wednesday 2018 年 10 月 3 日 ( 星期三) 下午 13:00 - 17:30
Venue: GIS TAIPEI TECH Convention Center 集思北科大會議中心二樓感恩廳
Target audience: President, Vice President, Dean and Vice Dean of R&D Office, Dean and Vice Dean of International Affairs Office, IR Office, researchers & professors who are interested in learning how to evaluate their prominent topics.
參加者可活動後獲得 QS 或泰晤士報大學學科排名報告!
Attendees will recieve a sample research performance analysis report in either QS or Times Higher Education subject classification, if requested post event.
|Time 時間||Topic 主題|
|13:00 – 13:20||Registration 報到|
|13:20 – 13:30||Opening Remarks 歡迎致詞|
|13:30 – 14:20|
Topics of Prominence - Methodology and Practical Usage
Dr. Kevin Boyack
|14:20 – 15:10|
How UNSW leverages SciVal to Enable Research Excellence and Align Strategic Initiatives with the University’s Goals
|15:10 – 15:30||Break 中場休息|
|15:30 – 16:20|
How Taipei Tech is Using Research Analytics to Plan for International Success
Chaochin Su 蘇昭瑾教授
Taiwan government launched the New Southbound Policy and Higher Education plan, designed to metric how universities evaluate their research performance and international competitiveness. Both initiatives assess research strengths and future positioning amongst world universities. They allow Taiwan universities to develop their own performance indicators, giving priority to research development by proposing strategies to promote and strengthen their international research collaboration programs. This presentation will demonstrate how Taipei Tech is using Scopus and SciVal to benchmark its research strengths, boost international collaboration and foster University-Industry Collaboration. The ultimate goal is to propel a research institution from a local technical university to an internationally renowned university of technology.
|16:20 – 17:10|
Innovation in research-strategy-workflows
Alexander van Servellen
|17: 10 – 17:30||Q & A 問題與討論|
President of SciTech
Kevin Boyack has been with SciTech Strategies since July 2007. Previously he worked at Sandia National Laboratories in areas of combustion, transport processes, socio-economic war gaming, and science mapping.
View full bio
Since joining SciTech his work has centered on developing more accurate global maps of science. He has published over 40 articles dealing with various aspects of science mapping and related metrics. Together with Richard Klavans, he developed the Topics of Prominence methods that are currently part of SciVal. His recent work and current interests include detailed mapping of the structure and dynamics of science and technology, accuracy of maps and classifications, merging of multiple data types and sources, identification and prediction of emerging topics, and development of advanced metrics.
Director, Research Analysis, Data and Reporting University of New South Wales (UNSW) Sydney
Thomas Chow is Director of the Research Analysis, Data and Reporting unit at the University of New South Wales (UNSW) Sydney. He leads the department in providing analytics, delivering data-driven insights, and implementing initiatives to continuously improve UNSW’s position as one of the leading research-intensive universities worldwide.
View full bio
His responsibilities also include overseeing reporting on the University’s research activity and performance, its position in various world university rankings, ensuring the University’s strong performance in the national Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA) exercise, developing, enhancing and maintaining the Division’s research metric tool ‘BORIS’, and providing divisional support for applications, business intelligence, and business process improvements to ensure all systems and reporting services are effectively meeting the university’s requirements.
Thomas has held management roles in the Australian Higher Education sector, leading strategic projects related to planning, analytics, and systems implementation. Previously, he was the Assistant Director for Planning, responsible for student load planning and statutory reporting, and Manager for Systems & Reporting at UNSW’s Graduate Research School. Prior to UNSW, he held a variety of reporting, analysis, and project delivery roles at the University of Sydney.
Professor and Director of Research and Development Office, National Taipei University of Technology
Professor Chaochin Su is currently the distinguished Professor and Director of Research and Development Office at Taipei Tech. Prior to this position, she served as the department chair from 2009-2014. She was awarded the Taipei Tech Award for her excellent Teaching at 2009.
View full bio
She became an Associate Professor of Taipei Tech in 2003 and a Full Professor of Taipei Tech in 2006. She joined the Department of Textile Engineering (later renamed as Department of Molecular Science and Engineering, MSE), College of Engineering, National Taipei University of Technology (Taipei Tech) as an Assistant Professor (1999).
Alexander van Servellen
Senior Customer Consultant Research Management Solution, Elsevier
Alexander van Servellen is Senior Solution Consultant, Research Intelligence at Elsevier. Based in Singapore, Alexander works with policy-makers in Asia Pacific to help them integrate research analytics and solutions into their strategy-workflows.
View full bio
Alexander was part of the team which launched analytical services at Elsevier in 2010 and in that capacity designed, proposed and executed over 50 research performance projects including for UK Department of Business Skills and Innovation, The Ministry of Economics of the Netherlands, National Research Foundation of Singapore and many universities. Alexander is originally from the Netherlands, has worked with Elsevier since 2008, and holds a MSc. in Developmental Psychology from University of Amsterdam.
What is Topic Prominence? 什麼是熱門研究主題
SciVal can show which Topics your institution is currently active in, and which Topics have high momentum– those therefore more likely to be well-funded. Prominence is a new indicator that shows the current momentum of a Topic by looking at very recent citations, views and CiteScore values. Topics of Prominence are available for an institution, as single topic, a researcher or group of researchers.
SciVal 可以顯示您所在機構當前活躍的研究主題，以及哪些研究主題為未來研究趨勢 - 因此更有可能獲得充足的資金支持。Prominence 是一個新的指標，透過引用次數、瀏覽和期刊影響指標(Citescore) 來了解該研究主題在全球的熱門程度。Prominence 可用於查詢單一機構、單一研究主題、研究人員或一群研究人員。
Research Managers 研究管理者
Trying to stay abreast of the latest research trends? Topic Prominence in Science helps answer the following:
- What are the pockets of well-funded research in our current research portfolio? 在我們目前的研究著作中有哪些是資金充足的研究？
- How can we show that our institution is very active and leading the way in a research field which has a lot of momentum? 怎樣才能證明我們的機構非常活躍並且在未來研究趨勢的研究領域中處於領先地位？
- Which forward-momentum Topics are our peers and competitors currently active in? 哪些將為未來研究趨勢是我們的同行和競爭對手目前活躍的研究主題？
- Who are the top-performing researchers and upcoming talent active in those particular research Topics? 誰是表現最好的研究人員和即將在這些特定研究主題中活躍的新興人才？
We provide a much clearer picture of your overall research performance and insight into the momentum or level of activity of particular Topics. We can help you answer your most pressing research-related questions:
- What Topics have high momentum that are likely to be well-funded and thus have higher grant success rates? 什麼研究主題為未來研究趨勢，其可能資金充足，並因此有更高的資助成功率？
- Who else is active and publishing research in a similar Topic to mine, whom I could collaborate and co-author with? 還有誰在與我類似的研究主題中活躍並發布研究，我可以與誰合作並成為共同作者？
- What are some related Topics adjacent to mine with a lot of momentum, where I could focus my research attention? 與我相關的研究主題可能成為未來研究趨勢，我可以在哪裡集中研究注意力？
快速一覽 Topic Prominence
Event information 會議資訊
Date: October 3, 2018, Wednesday 2018 年 10 月 3 日 ( 星期三)
Venue: GIS TAIPEI TECH Convention Center 集思北科大會議中心二樓感恩廳 交通資訊
Welcome President, Vice President, Dean and Vice Dean of R&D Office, Dean and Vice Dean of International Affairs Office, IR Office, researchers & professors who are interested in learning how to check their prominent topics attendance.