Austrian Science Fund (FWF)
Funding Body Agreement
The Austrian Science Fund (FWF) requires all project leaders and FWF workers to make their publications freely available through open access.
Authors can comply with FWF policy by using their grant money for gold open access or by selecting to self- archive (green open access) their manuscript within 12 months of publication.
Help and Support
Gold open access
- Enable authors to identify themselves as being funded by FWF via our funding body form.
- Provide the option to publish with a CC BY license, as required by FWF
- Add the CrossMark® identifier and links back to the authoritative version of record on ScienceDirect.
- Provide immediate and permanent free access to the final published article on ScienceDirect.
- Upon final publication, immediately send to Europe PubMed Central (PMC) the final published journal article (PJA) as it appears on ScienceDirect. PMC and PMC mirror sites will also link directly to this same article on Elsevier's websites.
To choose the gold open access option a publication fee is payable by the author or institution. Authors will need to pay this using their grant money. Elsevier's fees range from 500 – 5000 US Dollars. Visit the individual journal homepages for specific open access pricing information.
Green open access
For FWF-funded authors, who wish to self-archive their manuscript to comply with FWF policy, the following steps apply:
- Authors need to keep a copy of their manuscript, which may include any author-incorporated changes suggested through the peer review process (also called an accepted author manuscript AAM).
- Post this version on their institutional or subject specific repository or Europe PubMedCentral (as required for FWF funded publications in the life Sciences area) for public access after a journal-specific embargo period has expired.
- Authors should add a link back to the final version of the article hosted on ScienceDirect.
- To choose this option there are no fees for either the author or institution.
For authors to be compliant with FWF policy, posting must occur within 12 months after final publication. Elsevier has journal specific embargo periods which in some cases may be longer than 12 months. Please check our list of journal embargo periods.