Elsevier is committed to offering the widest possible dissemination of published research, so journal content is accessible electronically via ScienceDirect, Scopus and Health Advance. Our marketing approach complements this strategy, aiming to increase the visibility, accessibility and readership for your journal's articles.
We use online, physical and print marketing channels to maintain a high level of visibility and awareness for your journal. Electronic marketing – using websites, search tools, alerts and email communications – is becoming increasingly important; it offers improved speed of production, better response times, improved customer interaction, clearly measurable results and greater flexibility.
We know from editors’ feedback that many of you are keen to be involved in the marketing of your journal. The Editor Marketing Toolkit highlights the areas where your experience and expertise can add value.
Search Engine Marketing
Search engines such as Google play an important role in increasing the discoverability of content on our platforms. We optimize our website content to improve their position in the major search engine rankings, increasing the visibility of our sites and individual journals.
- ScienceDirect: Elsevier journals have their own homepage on ScienceDirect, with easy access to content and a free online sample issue.
- Elsevier.com: Journals have a dedicated homepage on Elsevier.com, which has over 5.5 million page views every month, providing information about the journal.
- Health Advance hosts more than 575 proprietary and society-owned journals in the medical, surgical, dental, nursing and health professions
Content alerting services
- ScienceDirect Citation alert: notifies you by e-mail when an article you select is cited by new articles added to ScienceDirect
- ScienceDirect Search alert: notifies you by e-mail when a stored search retrieves new results, with direct links to the new search results
- ScienceDirect Volume/Issue alert: notifies you by e-mail when a new issue of a journal or a new volume of a book becomes available on ScienceDirect
- ScienceDirect Personalization/Topic alerts: topic alerts are predefined searches on a specific topic.
- The ScienceDirect TOP25 quarterly alert lists the most downloaded journal articles, giving journals and authors increased visibility and prestige.
- Printed promotional materials such as posters, flyers, fact sheets, business and postcards can raise the visibility of your journal at key conferences and other events.
- Printed subject catalogues in which books and journals are promoted together display the range of available publishing options to potential authors.
- Print advertising can be arranged (subject to approval) in relevant Elsevier journals; selectively, we may also advertise in non-Elsevier titles when this is the most effective marketing option available.
Exhibits and Conferences
Elsevier has dedicated global exhibit teams, and we tailor our approach to each scientific meeting in a number of ways. Over the years, we have observed that conference participants are less and less inclined to take away promotional materials and journal sample copies from exhibition booths. In response to this, we have developed a more digital presence at conferences, including with the Editors’ Choice website.
7 ways to raise the profile of your journal
- Add your journal and its website URL to your email signature – encourage colleagues, students and associates to visit the journal website
- Add your journal and its website URL to your business cards
- Encourage people to sign up for ScienceDirect alerts – they will be reminded regularly of the research being published
- Inform us of interesting or high profile articles you have accepted, so we can highlight them in our marketing
- Share interesting research with a colleague by using the ‘Email Article’ link on ScienceDirect
- Tell us about society or research websites that could list your journal – we’ll get in touch with them and try to establish reciprocal links
- Tell us about the meetings you attend so we can help you distribute or display sample copies and promotional material