Elsevier Publishes New Edition of Computer Organization and Design
Waltham, MA, December 2, 2013
Industry-leading authors David Patterson
and John Hennessey revise seminal textbook studied by more than 300,000
computer engineering students
Industry-leading authors David Patterson and John Hennessey revise seminal textbook studied by more than 300,000 computer engineering students
world-leading provider of scientific, technical and medical information
products and services, today announced publishing the fifth edition of the
book, Computer Organization and Design: The
Hardware/Software Interface, written by industry-leading authors David
Patterson and John
Hennessey. Patterson is the Pardee Professor of computer science and former
Chair of the Computer Science department at the University of California,
Berkeley; Hennessey is President of Stanford University.
Twenty-one years after the publication of the first edition, the authors have revised the textbook to prepare students for real-world computing challenges and the emergence of mobile computing and cloud technology. They provide insights into the most effective ways of evaluating design challenges and developing solutions that meet modern requirements for performance, cost and energy consumption.
Aligned with co-author Patterson's Berkeley course, "Great ideas of Computer Architecture," Computer Organization and Design discusses and highlights what he refers to as the "Eight Great Ideas" of computer architecture: performance via parallelism, performance via pipelining, performance via prediction, design for Moore's Law, hierarchy of memories, abstraction to simplify design, make the common case fast and dependability via redundancy. These themes are flagged where they appear in the book, demonstrating how they influence all areas of computer design.
The content in the fifth edition of Computer Organization and Design:
- Provides new examples and exercises, such as a new running example that demonstrates how understanding hardware can inspire software optimizations that improve performance by up to 200 times
- Discusses parallelism in depth with examples highlighting parallel hardware and software topics
- Explores the inter-relationship of hardware and software to show students how computing technologies and techniques impact important design decisions, preparing them to think intuitively about design challenges while firmly grounding them in computing fundamentals
- Features the Intel Core i7, ARM Cortex-A8 and NVIDIA Fermi GPU as real-world examples throughout the book
Elsevier published three additional new book titles under the Morgan Kaufmann imprint, including:
- Network Convergence: Ethernet Applications and Next Generation Packet Transport Architectures by Vinod Joseph and Srinivas Mulugu
- Accelerating MATLAB with GPU Computing: A Primer with Examples by Jung Suh and Youngmin Kim
- Visual Computing for Medicine: Theory, Algorithms, and Applications by Bernhard Preim and Charl Botha
All of the books listed above are available through the Elsevier Store. Network Convergence, Accelerating MATLAB with GPU Computing, and Visual Computing for Medicine are also available on ScienceDirect, Elsevier's full-text scientific database offering journal articles and book chapters from more than nearly 2,200 peer-reviewed journals, almost 900 serials and close to 22,000 book titles.
# # #
Notes to editors
The books are available to credentialed journalists upon request; contact Michelle McMahon at +1 781 663 2268 or email@example.com to request a review copy or to schedule an interview with an author.
Elsevier is a world-leading provider of information solutions that enhance the performance of science, health, and technology professionals, empowering them to make better decisions, deliver better care, and sometimes make groundbreaking discoveries that advance the boundaries of knowledge and human progress. Elsevier provides web-based, digital solutions — among them ScienceDirect, Scopus, Elsevier Research Intelligence, and ClinicalKey — and publishes nearly 2,200 journals, including The Lancet and Cell, and over 25,000 book titles, including a number of iconic reference works.
The company is part of Reed Elsevier Group PLC, a world leading provider of professional information solutions in the Science, Medical, Legal and Risk and Business sectors, which is jointly owned by Reed Elsevier PLC and Reed Elsevier NV. The ticker symbols are REN (Euronext Amsterdam), REL (London Stock Exchange), RUK and ENL (New York Stock Exchange).
Publicity Manager, Science & Technology Books
+1 781 663 2268