Elsevier Honored as "The Most Influential Publisher of the Last 100 Years in BioMedicine and the Life Sciences" by the Special Libraries Association
SLA Centennial Observance Chooses 20 Elsevier journals among 100 Most Influential Journals in Past Century
Amsterdam, 17 June, 2009 – Elsevier has been awarded the "The Most Influential Publisher of the Last 100 Years in BioMedicine and the Life Sciences" at the Special Library Association’s (SLA) Centennial conference on Tuesday, June 16th in Washington DC. Twenty journals published by Elsevier, many on behalf of renowned societies, were also selected as the SLA’s Top 100 Journals in Biology an d Medicine.
Established in 1909 to serve librarians specialized in business, government, social agencies, and academia, the SLA is now an 11,000-member professional organization of subject specialist librarians, information managers, and publishing industry representatives. Each topical division has contributed a Centennial-themed event throughout the year. In 2008, DBIO convened an international panel of nine eminent subject experts to compile a ballot for an electronic poll of SLA members concerning the most influential publisher and the 100 most influential journals of biology and medicine over the past century of SLA’s existence.
"Elsevier won as the most influential publisher of the last 100 years because time and time again it has been brave, bold, and collaborative," remarked Tony Stankus, Director, BioMedical & Life Sciences Division at the Special Libraries Association, "Whenever Elsevier saw real value, they went after it boldly. Elsevier's acquisition of the Cell Press titles and the Lancet are living proof that important titles are well worth buying and building upon. Elsevier knows how to develop a working relationship with scientific and clinical societies. It is my sincere hope that Elsevier continues to be brave, bold, and collaborative as it works with libraries in these economically challenging, yet scientifically exciting and clinically promising times.
"While Elsevier is greatly honored to be recognized by the SLA, we see the publisher's role as that of a long term supporting actor to the researchers. They are the ones who make the discoveries that advance science and bring journals to life as authors, editors, and reviewers," remarked Youngsuk "Y.S." Chi, Vice Chairman at Elsevier, who accepted the honor at the June 16th award ceremony, Elsevier will use this honor to reaffirm our passion for excellence as we continue to serve the needs of the research community.
The DBIO 100, the 100 Most Influential Journals in Biology & Medicine over the last 100 Years as voted by the BioMedical & Life Sciences Division of the Special Libraries Association on the Occasion of its Centennial include twenty Elsevier journals, many published in partnership with prestigious societies:
· The American Journal of Human Genetics Cell Press with the American Society of Human Genetics
· American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology Elsevier with the American Gynecological and Obstetrical Society
· Animal Behaviour Elsevier with the Association for the Study of Animal Behaviour, UK, and the Animal Behavior Society US
· Annals of Emergency Medicine Elsevier with the American College of Emergency Physicians
· Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Elsevier with the American Congress of Rehabilitation
· Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, Elsevier
· Brain and Cognition, Elsevier together with several US and international cognitive neuropsychology societies
· Cell, Cell Press, Elsevier
· Current Biology, Cell Press, Elsevier
· Developmental Biology Elsevier with the Society for Developmental Biology
· Gastroenterology, Elsevier with the American Gastroenterological Association
· The Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, Elsevier with the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology
· Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology, Elsevier
· Journal of Human Evolution Elsevier
· Journal of Molecular Biology Elsevier
· Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology Elsevier with the American Academy of Dermatology
· Journal of the American College of Surgeons Elsevier with the American College of Surgeons
· The Journal of Urology Elsevier with the American Urological Association
· The Lancet Elsevier
· Virology Elsevier
Elsevier is a world-leading provider of scientific, technical and medical information products and services. The company works in partnership with the global science and health communities to publish more than 2,000 journals, including The Lancet and Cell, and close to 20,000 book titles, including major reference works from Mosby and Saunders. Elsevier’s online solutions include ScienceDirect, Scopus, SciVal, Reaxys, ClinicalKey and Mosby’s Suite, which enhance the productivity of science and health professionals, helping research and health care institutions deliver better outcomes more cost-effectively.
A global business headquartered in Amsterdam, Elsevier employs 7,000 people worldwide. The company is part of Reed Elsevier Group plc, a world leading provider of professional information solutions. The group employs more than 30,000 people, including more than 15,000 in North America. Reed Elsevier Group plc is owned equally by two parent companies, Reed Elsevier PLC and Reed Elsevier NV. Their shares are traded on the London, Amsterdam and New York Stock Exchanges using the following ticker symbols: London: REL; Amsterdam: REN; New York: RUK and ENL.
Corporate Relations, Elsevier
+31 20 485 2025