Elsevier Wins Five First Prizes at BMA Medical Book Awards Competition
Philadelphia, PA, September 26, 2013
its award-winning medical authors and editors for consistently
producing high-quality medical content
Elsevier congratulates its award-winning medical authors and editors for consistently producing high-quality medical content
Elsevier, a world-leading
provider of scientific, technical and medical information products and
services, announced today that 25 of its professional and scholarly products
were honored at the British Medical Association's annual BMA Medical Book Awards ceremony at BMA
House in London on September 17, 2013. This year publishers submitted more than
640 products, and the BMA awarded 122 prizes, with 21 first prizes and 101
highly commended prizes.
"We congratulate all of the winners and especially thank all of the authors, editors and Elsevier publishing staff who have worked on these prize-winning titles," said Linda Belfus, Senior Vice President at Elsevier. "This is an amazing achievement and reflects our dedication to developing and delivering quality content."
Elsevier received First prizes in the following categories:
- Basic and Clinical Sciences – Goldman: Our Genes, Our Choices: How Genotype and Gene Interactions Affect Behavior
- Digital and Online Resources – Kumar & Clark: Kumar & Clark's Clinical Medicine - Inkling Enhanced E-Book, 8th ed.
- Internal Medicine – du Vivier: Atlas of Clinical Dermatology, 4th ed.
- Surgery – Buttaravoli: Minor Emergencies, 3rd ed.
- Surgical Specialties – Neligan: Plastic Surgery: 6-Volume Set; Expert Consult Premium Edition - Enhanced Online Features and Print, 3rd ed.
are really delighted to receive this award on behalf of our authors, our
Elsevier editorial team and our digital partners at Inkling," said Parveen
Kumar, CBE, BSc, MD, DM (HC), FRCP, FRCP (Edin), co-author of Kumar & Clark's Clinical Medicine.
"The whole team worked very hard to create an engaging, multimedia interface to
the demanding content of this book in order to accommodate all learning styles
and improve the student experience. We all very much appreciate this wonderful
endorsement from the BMA."
Dr. Kumar attended the ceremony, as did Anthony du Vivier, MD, FRCP, author of Atlas of Clinical Dermatology.
"I'm absolutely delighted with the BMA tribute and was helped by a brilliant team at Elsevier to pull it all together," said Dr. du Vivier. "Many thanks to my editors Russell Gabbedy and Sharon Nash."
Elsevier also received Highly Commended prizes in the following categories:
- Basis of Medicine – Harden & Laidlaw: Essential Skills for a Medical Teacher
- Internal Medicine – Reid, Lomas-Francis & Olsson: The Blood Group Antigen FactsBook, 3rd ed.
- Internal Medicine – Johnson et al: Physiology of the Gastrointestinal Tract: Two Volume Set, 5th ed.
- Internal Medicine – Michelson: Platelets, 3rd ed.
- Internal Medicine – Gawkrodger & Ardern-Jones: Dermatology: An Illustrated Colour Text, 5th ed.
- Internal Medicine – Spiro, Silvestri & Augusti: Clinical Respiratory Medicine, 4th ed.
- Internal Medicine – Wilcox, Munoz-Navas & Sung: Atlas of Clinical Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, 3rd ed.
- Medicine – Japp & Robertson: Macleod's Clinical Diagnosis
- Medicine – Ginsburg & Willard: Genomic and Personalized Medicine: Two Volumes, 2nd ed.
- Medicine – Stocum: Regenerative Biology and Medicine, 2nd ed.
- Paediatrics – Davies et al: Antenatal Consults: A Guide for Neonatologists & Pediatricians(Elsevier Australia)
- Paediatrics – Rennie: Rennie & Roberton's Textbook of Neonatology, 5th ed.
- Paediatrics – Thalange et al: Essentials of Paediatrics, 2nd ed.
- Primary Health Care – Guillebaud & MacGregor: Contraception – Your Questions Answered, 6th ed.
- Psychiatry – Wright, Stern & Phelan: Core Psychiatry, 3rd ed.
- Public Health – Plotkin, Orenstein & Offit: Vaccines (Expert Consult - Online and Print)
- Radiology – Torigian & Kitazono: Netter's Correlative Imaging: Abdominal and Pelvic Anatomy
- Surgery – Franklin, Dawson & Rodway: Essentials of Clinical Surgery, 2nd ed.
- Surgical Specialties – Ryan et al: Retina (Expert Consult - Online and Print)
For more information about the awards, please visit the BMA website.
# # #
Elsevier is a world-leading provider of scientific, technical and medical information products and services. The company works in partnership with the global science and health communities to publish more than 2,000 journals, including The Lancet and Cell, and 25,000 book titles, including major reference works from Mosby and Saunders. Elsevier’s online solutions include ScienceDirect, Scopus, SciVal, Reaxys, ClinicalKey and Mosby’s Suite, which enhance the productivity of science and health professionals, helping research and health care institutions deliver better outcomes more cost-effectively.
A global business headquartered in Amsterdam, Elsevier employs 7,000 people worldwide. The company is part of Reed Elsevier Group PLC, a world leading provider of professional information solutions in the Science, Medical, Legal and Risk and Business sectors, which is jointly owned by Reed Elsevier PLC and Reed Elsevier NV. The ticker symbols are REN (Euronext Amsterdam), REL (London Stock Exchange), RUK and ENL (New York Stock Exchange).
Director, Corporate Relations
+1 212 633 3164