Elsevier Expands Procedures Consult With Emergency Medicine, Orthopedics And Anesthesia Procedures
New Modules Enhance Value of Online Multimedia Training and Reference Solution for Medical Students and Residents
Philadelphia, PA – April 15, 2008 – Elsevier, the leading publisher of scientific, technical and medical information products and services, announced today that it has added three new modules to Procedures Consult™ in orthopedics, anesthesia and emergency medicine. Procedures Consult, which Elsevier launched in July 2007 with 40 procedures in internal medicine, is an online multimedia resource that helps physicians, medical residents and students learn, perform and test their knowledge of the most frequent medical procedures. The site currently contains 140 separate procedures including actual procedure videos, text and animation.
Other unique features include highlighted patient safety guidelines consistent with standards established by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO) and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).
"Medical procedures are potentially high-risk situations, particularly when physicians are learning the procedure for the first or second time, or if they have not performed the procedure recently,” said Jonathan Teich, MD, PhD, and Elsevier’s Chief Medical Informatics Officer. "By providing immediate online access to detailed step-by-step multimedia information on procedure execution, along with indications and other considerations, Procedures Consult reduces the potential for medical errors and complications. Its ability to document procedures for residency requirements and competency tracking adds additional value for education and quality improvement.”
In addition to medical students and residents, other potential users of Procedures Consult include practicing physicians, physician assistants, certified registered nurse anesthetists, operating room nurses, advanced practice nurses and respiratory therapists.
Healthcare organizations, including hospitals, medical groups and medical schools, can customize Procedures Consult to fit their needs. They can add procedure-specific alerts and links to organizational resources, such as informed consent forms, hospital standard procedures or patient education materials, while also monitoring physician test completion for credentialing compliance.
Specific content delivered in the new modules includes:
• 39 new procedures representing over 78 surgical techniques
• Provides expert video content developed in conjunction with Campbell Clinic
• Text and illustration content adapted from Campbell’s Operative Orthopaedics, 11th edition
• 34 procedures, including coverage of both general and regional anesthesia
• Provides content developed in conjunction with the University of Pennsylvania, Department of Anesthesia (Lee A. Fleisher, M.D., Chair)
• 50 procedures covering key procedures in both emergency and internal medicine
• Expert video content developed in conjunction with Gary S. Setnik, M.D., Chair, Dept. of Emergency Medicine and Todd W. Thomsen, M.D. at Mt. Auburn Hospital, an affiliate of Harvard Medical School
• Text and illustration content adapted from Roberts & Hedges, Clinical Procedures in Emergency Medicine, 5th ed. (2009 publication)
An Open House event, where users can view the entire site for free, is available from April 15-May 15, 2008. More information is available at www.ProceduresConsult.com.
Elsevier is a world-leading provider of information solutions that enhance the performance of science, health, and technology professionals, empowering them to make better decisions, deliver better care, and sometimes make groundbreaking discoveries that advance the boundaries of knowledge and human progress. Elsevier provides web-based, digital solutions — among them ScienceDirect, Scopus, Elsevier Research Intelligence and ClinicalKey— and publishes over 2,500 journals, including The Lancet and Cell, and more than 33,000 book titles, including a number of iconic reference works. Elsevier is part of RELX Group plc, a world-leading provider of information solutions for professional customers across industries. www.elsevier.com
+1 212 462 1912