Funding in Mathematics
The Elsevier Mathematical Sciences Sponsorship Fund has been started to support events and activities that benefit individuals and groups within the mathematical sciences.
Proposals are welcome for single-year grants in amounts between US$500 and US$5,000.
This is an annual sponsorship, whereby an application needs to fall into at least one of three categories:
- Young researchers - travel grants for conferences or workshops
- Educational - educational activity aimed at promoting the mathematical sciences to young researchers, or educating the general public
- Philanthropy - support for activities to advance mathematical sciences in developing nations
Submissions should be focused and well-defined, and address the following elements:
- Objectives: Provide a description of the objectives and key activities of the program.
- Goals and plan: A clear description of the program goals and implementation plan, including timeframe.
- Budget: The total amount of the grant requested and justification for the requested amount, including a clear budget overview spreadsheet that indicates in as much detail as possible intended expenditures and other sources of funding, if any.
- Organization and partnership: A description of the organization requesting the grant, confirmation of its status as a non-profit entity, and a listing of key officers and staff who will direct the implementation of the program. Description of key program partners, if any.
- Impact: The significance of the program’s intended impact on the mathematical sciences research community or general public science, in that country or globally.
The sponsorship fund will not provide support for:
- Conferences (these will be dealt with separately and conference organizers should continue to talk to their Publishing contact about this)
- Religious or political causes (including lobbying)
- For-profit organizations
Incomplete proposals will not be reviewed and correspondence on decisions will not be entered into.