The Chief Scientist Office
Elsevier has established a funding body agreement with the UK Chief Scientist Office to help authors publishing in Elsevier journals comply and to facilitate a successful implementation of their policy. Details about how to comply are outlined below.
The Chief Scientist Office - funded authors are required to submit an electronic copy of the final manuscript, of their peer -reviewed research papers, to PubMed Central (PMC) or UK PubMed Central (UKPMC), no later than six months after final publication.Chief Scientist Office - funded authors are free to choose the (gold) open access option offered by Elsevier. Authors can comply by publishing in either an Elsevier open access journal or in a subscription journal that offers an open access option. This includes journals published by The Lancet.
Gold open access
- To provide open access, a publication fee needs to be met for each article published open access. For information about specific open access publication fees, please refer to the individual journal 's guide for authors.Since the end of 2012, it has been CSO policy that researchers can apply to CSO for up to £2000 towards the costs of Open Access publishing of a paper arising from CSO funded research project. Such applications are only valid up to 12 months after acceptance of the final report and should be made after the paper has been accepted for publication. Applications should be made on Form 6a.
- Upon final publication, Elsevier will immediately send to PubMed Central (PMC) the final published journal article (PJA) as it appears on ScienceDirect. PMC and PMC mirror sites will also link directly to this same article on Elsevier's websites.
- All articles published open access have permitted reuse which is determined by the author's choice of user license.
Green open access
- CSO funded authors, who do not have funds available for gold open access can self-archive their accepted author manuscript on Europe PMC after the embargo period for their specific journal has expired.
- Posted accepted author manuscripts must include a link back to the original and final published articles. Permitted reuse of posted manuscripts and additional terms and conditions can be found online.