BBA – at the heart of the Biochemistry community
Our nine topical BBA titles feature some of the most dynamic research taking place in Biochemistry today. But, we understand that financial and time pressures mean your path to publication is rarely an easy one.
Our editors and publishers are passionate about finding ways we can support you as you work towards your next paper. Each year, we provide a range of sponsorships and support, from grants to help you attend important conferences in your field, to awards recognizing and rewarding the value of your contributions. On this page, we highlight just some of the activities taking place to nurture Biochemistry researchers and help increase scientific knowledge in the field.
Are you organizing an event related to one of the fields represented by our BBA titles? We’re always looking for new sponsorship opportunities and would love to hear from you – please contact BBA Publisher George Woodward at email@example.com
The Otto Warburg Medal
As one of the most highly esteemed science awards in Germany, the Otto Warburg Medal honors outstanding, internationally recognized results in fundamental biochemical and molecular biological research.
It has been conferred by the German Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (GBM) since 1963 and since 2012, Elsevier and BBA have been the exclusive sponsors of this medal, with a cash prize to support continued research by the awardees.
We offer a wide range of sponsorships across all titles, many linked to events and conferences around the world. Below, we take a closer look at some of our 2018 contributions. For a full and up-to-date list of sponsorships per journal, please visit the BBA journal homepages.
- Is sponsoring the registration of a junior attendee to the Bioenergetics Gordon Research Conference (2-7 June, 2019) Andover, NH, USA
- Is sponsoring prizes for the best poster / oral communication at the 85th Harden Conference: Dynamic Membrane Complexes: Respiration and Transport (28-31 August, 2019) in Bonn, Germany
- Published a special issue and meeting abstracts for the 20th European Bioenergetics Conference (EBEC) meeting in Hungary
- Sponsored the attendance of early career researchers at the 20th meeting of the Groupe Français de Bioénergétique (GFB) in Autrans, France, from September 26 to 29, 2019
BBA Molecular Basis of Disease:
- Is once again sponsoring a trainee workshop at the annual conference of the Society for Heart and Vascular Metabolism (SHVM). This year’s meeting will be held in Amsterdam on June 23-26.
- Is sponsoring early career researcher attendance at the 2019 FEBS Advanced Lecture Course on Oncometabolism, to be held September 1-6 in Luso, Portugal.
- Sponsored a trainee workshop at the Society for Heart and Vascular Metabolism 16th annual scientific sessions in the US
BBA General Subjects:
- Contributed to the Gordon Research Conference on Physical Virology, held in Ventura, CA, USA, on January 20-25, 2019
- Contributed to the GRC Thiol-Based Redox Regulation and Signaling Conference in Spain
- Contributed to the Avner Pancreatic Cancer Symposium in Australia
The awards were for best presentation by a PhD Student or Post-Doctoral Fellow, and went to Ms. K. Murphy and Dr. Tony Pang.
- Contributed to the Society of Free Radical Research Australasia Conference in New Zealand
- The Society for Glycobiology meeting in the US
- Contributed to the 10th Heme Oxygenase meeting in South Korea
BBA Gene Regulatory Mechanisms:
- Has provided a poster award at the Transcriptional Regulation by Chromatin and RNA Polymerase II Symposium in the US
The winner of this poster award was Feiyue Lu (Dr. Dave Gilmour lab, Penn State University).
- Has provided a poster award at the Midwest Chromatin and Epigenetics Meeting in the US
BBA Molecular and Cell Biology of Lipids:
- BBA Molecular and Cell Biology of Lipids will once again be sponsoring the Van Deenen lecture at the International Conference on the Bioscience of Lipids (ICBL) (17-21 June, 2019) in Tokyo, Japan. The lecturer will be Dr. Keizo Inoue.
- Is contributing to the FASEB Lysophospholipid and Related Mediators: From Bench to Clinic conference (28 July – 2 August, 2019) in Lisbon Portugal.
- Is contributing to the FEBS Advanced Lecture Course on Sphingolipid Biology (6-10 May) in Cascais, Portugal.
- Will be sponsoring a lecture at the 2019 Gordon Research Conference (GRC) on the Molecular and Cellular Biology of Lipids
- Is sponsoring a travel award for the 16th international conference on Bioactive Lipids in Cancer, Inflammation and Related Diseases (Oct. 20-23, St. Petersburg, Florida)
- Sponsored a “New Investigator Award” at the 13th Congress of the International Society for the Study of Fatty Acids and Lipids (ISSFAL) in the US
- Provided travel and accommodation costs for the van Deenen lecturer at the 59th International Conference on the Bioscience of Lipids in Finland
- Sponsored poster awards at the Rutgers Center for Lipid Research symposium on Lipid Diversity and Human Disease in the US
BBA Molecular Cell Research:
- Sponsoring fellowships for PhD students to attend the meeting of the Spanish Network of Ion Channels, which will be held in Cáceres, Spain, from May 15-17, 2019. Registration is now open!
- Is sponsoring 2 poster awards at the FASEB Science Research Conference on Biology of Calpains in Health and Disease, to be held July 14-19, 2019, in Pacific Grove, California
- Sponsored a talk by former editor of the journal, Klaus Pfanner, at the GRC Mitochondria and Chloroplasts Conference in Italy
- Sponsored the Mechanobiology Subgroup Symposium at the annual meeting of the Biophysical Society in the US
- Sponsored poster awards at the Open European Peroxisome Meeting (OEPM) in the Netherlands
- Provided travel grants for attendees at the 4th European NF-κB Subunit Workshop in France
- Is sponsoring a poster prize and fellowship for an early career researcher to attend the FEBS Advanced Course: Biological Surfaces and Interfaces: the Mechanistic View (30 June – 5 July, 2019) Sant Feliu de Guixols, Spain
- Has offered financial support to students attending the Canadian Society for Molecular Biosciences 61st Annual Conference in Canada
- Has offered financial support to students attending the annual meeting of the Biophysical Society of Canada
BBA Proteins and Proteomics:
- Has provided travel costs and other contributions to the ICMRBS Conference on Magnetic Resonance in Biological Systems in Ireland
- Has provided travel costs and other contributions to the 18th International Conference on Retinal Proteins in Canada