BBA Awards & Support
At the heart of the Biochemistry community
Our nine topical BBA titles feature some of the most dynamic research taking place in Biochemistry today. We understand that financial and time pressures mean your path to publication is rarely an easy one and our editors and publishers are passionate about finding ways to support you as you work towards your next paper.
The Otto Warburg Medal
As one of the most highly esteemed science awards in Germany, the Otto Warburg Medal honors outstanding, internationally recognized results in fundamental biochemical and molecular biological research.
It has been conferred by the German Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (GBM) since 1963 and since 2012, Elsevier and BBA have been the exclusive sponsors of this medal, with a cash prize to support continued research by the awardees.
Each year, we provide a range of sponsorships and support, from grants to help you attend important conferences in your field, to awards recognizing and rewarding the value of your contributions. On this page, we highlight just some of the activities taking place to nurture Biochemistry researchers and help increase scientific knowledge in the field.
Discover the range of grants, sponsorships and awards our BBA titles offer. If you have an idea for a sponsorship opportunity, we would love to hear from you!
Please contact BBA Publisher, Joe D’Angelo.
- Sponsor: Young Bioenergeticist Award for the Bioenergetics, Mitochondria and Metabolism subgroup of the Biophysical Society, including cash prize, registration to the annual meeting, attendance at Bioenergetics meeting dinner
- Sponsor: Registration of a junior attendee at the Bioenergetics Gordon Research Conference, Andover, NH, USA
- Sponsor: Best Poster/Oral Communication Prize at the 85th Harden Conference: Dynamic Membrane Complexes: Respiration and Transport, Bonn, Germany
- Published: Special Issue and meeting abstracts for the 20th European Bioenergetics Conference (EBEC), Hungary
- Sponsor: Attendance of early career researchers at the 20th meeting of the Groupe Français de Bioénergétique (GFB), Autrans, France
- Sponsor: Poster Prize and Fellowship for an early career researcher to attend the FEBS Advanced Course: Biological Surfaces and Interfaces: the Mechanistic View, Sant Feliu de Guixols, Spain
- Sponsor: Poster Prizes at the International Meeting on Antimicrobial Peptides (IMAP2019), Utrecht, Netherlands
- Support: Financial support for students attending the Canadian Society for Molecular Biosciences 61st Annual Conference, Canada
- Support: Financial support for students attending the annual meeting of the Biophysical Society of Canada
- Award: Poster Award at the Transcriptional Regulation by Chromatin and RNA Polymerase II Symposium, US, awarded to Feiyue Lu, Dr. Dave Gilmour lab, Penn State University
- Award: Poster Award at the Midwest Chromatin and Epigenetics Meeting, US
- Sponsor: Continued sponsorship of the Gordon Research Conference on Thiol-Based Redox Regulation and Signaling. Contributing to the 2020 occurrence of the meeting, Challenges and Opportunities in Sulfur Biochemistry, Castelldefels, Spain
- Contributed: To the Gordon Research Conference on Physical Virology, Ventura, CA, USA
- Contributed: To the GRC Thiol-Based Redox Regulation and Signaling Conference, Spain
- Contributed: To the Avner Pancreatic Cancer Symposium, Australia
- Sponsor: Awards for Best Presentation by a PhD Student or Post-Doctoral Fellow awarded to Ms. K. Murphy and Dr. Tony Pang
- Contributed: To the Society of Free Radical Research Australasia Conference, New Zealand
- Contributed: To the Society for Glycobiology meeting, US
- Contributed: To the 10th Heme Oxygenase meeting, South Korea
- Sponsor: Van Deenen lecture at the International Conference on the Bioscience of Lipids (ICBL), Tokyo, Japan - lecturer: Dr. Keizo Inoue
- Contributed: To the FASEB Lysophospholipid and Related Mediators: From Bench to Clinic conference, Lisbon, Portugal
- Contributed: To the FEBS Advanced Lecture Course on Sphingolipid Biology, Cascais, Portugal
- Sponsor: Lecture at the 2019 Gordon Research Conference (GRC) on the Molecular and Cellular Biology of Lipids
- Sponsor: Travel award for the 16th international conference on Bioactive Lipids in Cancer, Inflammation and Related Diseases, St. Petersburg, Florida
- Sponsor: New Investigator Award at the 13th Congress of the International Society for the Study of Fatty Acids and Lipids (ISSFAL), US
- Sponsor: Provided travel and accommodation costs for the van Deenen lecturer at the 59th International Conference on the Bioscience of Lipids, Finland
- Sponsor: Poster Awards at the Rutgers Center for Lipid Research symposium on Lipid Diversity and Human Disease, US
- Sponsor: Trainee workshop at the Annual Conference of the Society for Heart and Vascular Metabolism (SHVM), Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Sponsor: Early career researcher attendance at the 2019 FEBS Advanced Lecture Course on Oncometabolism, Luso, Portugal
- Contributed: To the VI International Workshop on "Nitric oxide in cancer and beyond”, New York, USA
- Sponsor: Trainee workshop at the Annual Conference of the Society for Heart and Vascular Metabolism (SHVM), Charlston, SC, US
- Sponsor: Fellowships for PhD students to attend the meeting of the Spanish Network of Ion Channels, Cáceres, Spain
- Sponsor: Two Poster Awards at the FASEB Science Research Conference on Biology of Calpains in Health and Disease, Pacific Grove, California
- Sponsor: Talk by former BBA Molecular Cell Research Editor, Klaus Pfanner, at the GRC Mitochondria and Chloroplasts Conference, Italy
- Sponsor: Mechanobiology Subgroup Symposium at the Annual Meeting of the Biophysical Society, US
- Sponsor: Poster Awards at the Open European Peroxisome Meeting (OEPM), Netherlands
- Sponsor: Travel grants for attendees at the 4th European NF-κB Subunit Workshop, France
- Sponsor: Speaker attendance at the Gordon Research Conference on Membrane Protein Folding, Easton, MA, USA
- Sponsor: Travel costs and other contributions to the ICMRBS Conference on Magnetic Resonance in Biological Systems, Ireland
- Sponsor: Travel costs and additional contributions to the 18th International Conference on Retinal Proteins, Canada