World Tuberculosis Day 2019 - ‘It’s time’
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), TB remains the world’s deadliest infectious killer. Each day, nearly 4,500 people lose their lives to TB and close to 30,000 people fall ill with this preventable and curable disease. Global efforts to combat TB have saved an estimated 54 million lives since the year 2000 and reduced the TB mortality rate by 42%.
Researchers around the world are working hard to develop more effective treatments and prevention measures. In this Elsevier article collection, you can read recent research on TB – the causative bacterium, the disease, its prevention and cure – published in a range of Elsevier’s journals. The articles are free to access until the 20th of June 2019.
Clinical Microbiology and Infection
- Trained innate immunity and resistance to Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection
Valerie ACM. Koeken, Ayesha J. Verrall, Mihai G. Netea, Philip C. Hill, Reinoutvan Crevel
- New potential biomarkers to assess efficacy of protection afforded by vaccine candidates against tuberculosis
Mario Alberto Flores-Valdez
- Mycobacterium Tuberculosis infection among the elderly in 20 486 rural residents aged 50–70 years in Zhongmu County, China
H. Xin, H. Zhang, J. Liu, S. Pan, X. Li, X. Cao, B. Feng, L. Guan, F. Shen, Z. Liu, D. Wang, J. Yan, M. Zhang, Q. Yang, Q. Jin, L. Gao
Clinical Microbiology Newsletter
- Diagnosis of Latent Mycobacterium tuberculosis Infection in the Era of Interferon Gamma Release Assays
Clare McCormick-Baw, Rita Hollaway, Dominick Cavuoti D.O.
- Direct Detection of Mycobacterium tuberculosis in Clinical Specimens Using Nucleic Acid Amplification Tests
Ellen Jo Baron, Fred C. Tenover, Devasena Gnanashanmugam
- Digital PCR in the Clinical Microbiology Laboratory: Another Tool on the Molecular Horizon
Eleanor A. Powell, N. Esther Babady
Diagnostic Microbiology and Infectious Diseases
- Development of colorimetric sensor array for diagnosis of tuberculosis through detection of urinary volatile organic compounds
Sandlund J, Lim S, Queralto N, Huang R, Yun J, Taba B, Song R, Odero R, Ouma G, Sitati R, Murithi W, Cain KP, Banaei N.
- Evaluation of Loopamp™MTBC detection kit for diagnosis of pulmonary tuberculosis at a peripheral laboratory in a high burden setting
Nguyen VAT, Nguyen HV, Dinh TV, Du HH, Do CN, Marks GB, Nguyen NV.
- Microbiological diagnosis of adult tuberculous meningitis in a ten-year cohort in Indonesia
Chaidir L, Annisa J, Dian S, Parwati I, Alisjahbana A, Purnama F, van der Zanden A, Ganiem AR, van Crevel R.
- Laboratory evaluation of the Anyplex™ II MTB/MDR and MTB/XDR tests based on multiplex real-time PCR and melting-temperature analysis to identify Mycobacterium tuberculosis and drug resistance.
Igarashi Y, Chikamatsu K, Aono A, Yi L, Yamada H, Takaki A, Mitarai S.
- TB or not TB? Mycobacterium celatum mimicking Mycobacterium tuberculosis: A case of mistaken identity
Michael Chavarri, Larry Lutwick, Bonny L. Dickinson
- Recurrent cutaneous tuberculosis in an immunocompetent 7-year-old male
Alvaro E. Galvis, Vidyasagar Jaiswal, Iris Pecson, Craig Nakamura, Dena Austin
Indian Journal of Tuberculosis
- Can sputum microscopy be replaced?
K.K. Chopra, M. Hanif.K.M, V.K. Arora Himanshu Vashistha
- Drug resistance among TB cases and it's clinical implications
- Burden of pulmonary tuberculosis in modern prison: a cross sectional prevalence survey from south India
Chandra Kumar Dolla et. al.
- N-TB: A mobile-based application to simplify nutritional assessment, counseling and care of patients with tuberculosis in India
Anurag Bhargava, Madhavi Bhargava, Tripti Pande, Raghuram Rao, Malik Parmar
Infection, Disease & Health
- Artificial Intelligence for infectious disease Big Data Analytics
Zoie S. Y. Wong, Jiaqi Zhou, Qingpeng Zhang
- Pre-travel counseling for immunocompromised travelers: A 12-year single-center retrospective review ☆
Eugene M. Tan, Jasmine R. Marcelin, Abinash Virk
International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents
- In vitro evaluation of dinactin, a potent microbial metabolite against Mycobacterium tuberculosis
Aehtesham Hussain, Muzafar Ahmad Rather, et. al.
- Dose optimization of moxifloxacin and linezolid against tuberculosis using mathematical modeling and simulation
M. Tobias Heinrichs, George L. Drusano, David L. Brown, Michael S. Maynard, Sherwin K.B. Sy, Kenneth H. Rand, Charles A. Peloquin, Arnold Louie, Hartmut Derendorf
- Isoniazid and rifampicin concentrations in children with tuberculosis with either a daily or intermittent regimen: implications for the revised RNTCP 2012 doses in India
Jaya Ranjalkar, Sumith K. Mathew, Valsan Philip Verghese, Anuradha Bose, Winsley Rose, Dulari Gupta, Denise H. Fleming, Binu Susan Mathew
- Evaluation of dried blood spot sampling for pharmacokinetic research and therapeutic drug monitoring of anti-tuberculosis drugs in children
Cecile Magis-Escurra et. al.
International Journal of Infectious Diseases
- Clinical risk factors associated with multidrug-resistant tuberculosis (MDR-TB) in Mali
Boca Baya, et. al.
- Hilar asymmetry in endobronchial tuberculosis patients: An often-overlooked clue
Lam Nguyen Ho, Ngoc Tran Van, Vu Le Thuong, Phuong Hoang Chan, Stephen P. Kantrow, Khoa Duong Duy, David L. Smith
- Tuberculosis and integrated child health — Rediscovering the principles of Alma Ata
Anne K. Detjen, Shaffiq Essajee, Malgorzata Grzemska, Ben J. Marais
Journal of Clinical Tuberculosis and Other Mycobacterial Diseases
- Xpert MTB/RIF Ultra: Optimal procedures for the detection of Mycobacterium tuberculosis in cerebrospinal fluid
Jerome H. Chin, Willy Ssengooba, Scott Grossman, Jacob Pellinen, Vincent Wadda
- The performance and yield of tuberculosis testing algorithms using microscopy, chest x-ray, and Xpert MTB/RIF
Jacob Creswell et al.
- TB control in humanitarian emergencies: Lessons from the Syria displacement crisis
Andrew T. Boyd, Susan T. Cookson
- The uncertainty, challenges, and variability in tuberculosis congregate setting investigations: The concentric circle model revisited.
Mark Wolman, Rajita Bhavaraju, Alfred Lardizabal
Journal of Global Antimicrobial Resistance
- Association between antiretroviral therapy and antitubercular drug resistance in TB treatment outcome among Kazakh TB/HIV co-infected patients
Kathryn Mishkin, Kamiar Alaei, Elmira Alikeyeva, Christopher Paynter, Altyn Aringazina, Arash Alaei
- Baseline resistance and cross-resistance among fluoroquinolones in multidrug-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates at a national reference laboratory in India
H.G. Mamatha, V. Shanthi
- Use of whole-genome sequencing to predict Mycobacterium tuberculosis drug resistance in Indonesia
Lidya Chaidira, Carolien Ruesen, Bas E. Dutilh, Ahmad R. Ganiema, Anggriani Andryani, Lika Apriani, Martijn A. Huynen, Rovina Ruslamia, Philip C. Hill, Reinout van Crevel, Bachti Alisjahbana
- Drug-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis: Epidemiology and role of morphological alterations
Ali Akbar Velayati, Parissa Farnia, Sven Hoffner
Journal of Hospital Infection
- Nosocomial Mycobacterium tuberculosis transmission by brief casual contact identified using comparative genomics
J. Seto, Y. Otani, T. Wada, Y. Suzuki, T. Ikeda, K. Araki, K. Mizuta, T. Ahiko
- Unmasking leading to a healthcare worker Mycobacterium tuberculosis transmission
K.L. Holden, C.W. Bradley, E.T. Curran, C. Pollard, G. Smith, E. Holden, P. Glynn, M.I. Garvey
- Tuberculosis infection via the emergency department among inpatients in South Korea: a propensity score matched analysis of the National Inpatient Sample
J-Y. Min, H-J. Kim, C. Yoon, K. Lee, M. Yeo, K-B. Min
Journal of Infection
- Public health outcome of Tuberculosis Cluster Investigations, England 2010–2013
E.L.Hamblion, A.Burkitt, M.K.Lalor, L.F.Anderson, H.L.Thomas, I.Abubakar, S.Morton, H.Maguire, S.R.Anderson, Public Health England TB Strain Typing Board
- Risk factors of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis: A global systematic review and meta-analysis
Ivan Surya Pradipta, Lina Davies Forsman, Judith Bruchfeld, Eelko Hak, Jan-Willem Alffenaar
- Development and validation of a prognostic score to predict tuberculosis mortality
Duc T. Nguyen, Edward A. Graviss
- Clinical outcome of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis patients receiving standardized second-line treatment regimen in China
Caihong Xua, Yu Pang, Renzhong Li, Yunzhou Ruan, Lixia Wang, Mingting Chen, Hui Zhang
Journal of Infection and Chemotherapy
- Microorganisms isolated at admission and treatment outcome in sputum smear-positive pulmonary tuberculosis
Satoru Ishikawa, Hidetoshi Igaria, Kazutaka Yamagishi, ShinTakayanagi, Fumio Yamagishi
- Paradoxical response in a patient with non-small cell lung cancer who received nivolumab followed by anti-Mycobacterium tuberculosis agents
So Takata et. al.
Médecine et Maladies Infectieuses
- A practical approach to tuberculosis diagnosis and treatment in liver transplant recipients in a low-prevalence area
A. Bosch, F. Valour, O. Dumitrescu, J. Dumortier, ... F. Ader
- Contribution of brain imaging to the diagnosis of intracranial tuberculoma and other brain lesions in patients presenting with miliary tuberculosis
A. Bleibtreu, N. Grall, J.-P. Laissy, C. Rioux, ... V. Joly
- Characteristics and outcome of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis in a low-incidence area
B.J. Gaborit, M. Revest, F. Roblot, Z. Maakaroun-Vermesse, ... D. Boutoille
New Microbes and New Infections
- Risk factors and control strategies for silicotuberculosis as an occupational disease
M. Shafiei, A. Ghasemian, M. Eslami, F. Nojoomi, H. Rajabi-Vardanjani
- Genotyping and molecular detection of multidrug-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis among tuberculosis lymphadenitis cases in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
O. Zewdie, A. Mihret, T. Abebe, A. Kebede, K. Desta, A. Worku, G. Ameni
- High rates of nontuberculous mycobacteria isolation from patients with presumptive tuberculosis in Iran
M.J. Nasiri, H. Dabiri, A.A.I. Fooladi, S. Amini, G. Hamzehloo, M.M. Feizabadi
- Mycobacterium simiae pulmonary disease in Iran: systematic review and meta-analysis
M.J. Nasiri, M. Heidary, T. Azimi, H. Goudarzi, P. Tabarsi, D. Darban-Sarokhalil, M.M. Feizabadi
- A mini systematic review of prognostic factors in elderly patients with tuberculosis
Sonoe Uchida, Kosaku Komiya, Kokoro Honjo, Kenji Umeki, Shin-ichi Nureki, Shuichi Takikawa, Masaru Ando, Kazufumi Hiramatsu, Jun-ichi Kadotab
- Coexistence of dementia with smear-positive pulmonary tuberculosis is associated with patient in-hospital mortality
Masafumi Saiki et. al.
- Safety, efficacy, and pharmacokinetics of bedaquiline in Japanese patients with pulmonary multidrug-resistant tuberculosis: An interim analysis of an open-label, phase 2 study
Kazunari Tsuyuguchi, Yuka Sasaki, Satoshi Mitarai, Ken Kurosawa, Yuki Saito, Tadaishi Koh
- Improved cough- and sputum-related quality of life after initiation of treatment in pulmonary tuberculosis
Takahito Suzuki et. al.
Travel Medicine and Infectious Disease
- Utility of tuberculin skin test and IGRA for tuberculosis screening in internationally adopted children: Retrospective analysis from a single center in Florence, Italy
Maria Vincenza Mastrolia, Sara Sollai, Camilla Totaro, Pasqua Putignano, Maurizio de Martino, Luisa Galli, Elena Chiappini
- Screening for active and latent tuberculosis among asylum seekers in Italy: A retrospective cohort analysis
Agostina Pontarelli, Valentina Marchese, Carla Scolari, Susanna Capone, Issa El-Hamada, Francesco Donato, Rolando Moioli, Enrico Girardi, Daniela Maria Cirillo, Francesco Castelli, Alberto Matteelli
- The host microbiome and impact of tuberculosis chemotherapy
Ronan F. O'Toole, Sanjay S. Gautam
- Delamanid: From discovery to its use for pulmonary multidrug-resistant tuberculosis (MDR-TB)
Yongge Liu, Makoto Matsumoto, Hidekaza Ishida, Kinue Ohguro, Masuhiro Yoshitake, Rajesh Gupta, Lawrence Geiter, Jeffrey Hafkin
- Should all suspected tuberculosis cases in high income countries be tested with GeneXpert?
Venanzio Vell, Agnieszka Broda, Francis Drobniewski
- Biology of clinical strains of Mycobacterium tuberculosis with varying levels of transmission
Crystal A. Shanley, Marcela I. Henao-Tamayo, Chand Bipin, Raja Mugasimangalam, Deepshika Verma, Diane J. Ordway, Elizabeth M. Streicher, Ian M. Orme