PowerCards Week Six Update

This week we had a training on Peer to Peer Research with Elsevier’s UX Director. The session gave us confirmation that all our prep and research work were done correctly, and we were immensely delighted by that.

After the Hackathon in August 2017, we rolled out a survey and received over 190 responses from medical students all over the world. By the end of week 1 of the incubation programme, we decided to conduct 6 in-depth interviews to validate the results of our survey and to gain a deeper understanding of our target user’s needs. After that, we also scanned and benchmarked the features of our potential competitors that are out in the market.

All the findings from our research helped us figure out our features list. Using an Affinity diagram and through consensus, we later narrowed down the list and decided on our MVP. Additionally, the insights we gathered also helped direct our vision as to where we want to take PowerCards in the future.

For the design and development workstream, we streamlined our code and are continuing on the development of our demo app. We are also working on our UI and low-fidelity prototype. Once these are done, we are planning to do some User/Usability testing to gather more feedback about the app. We are also working on visualizing our user scenarios and we can’t wait to roll these out in the coming days!

For the business case workstream, we made an analysis of our competitors’ different business models and perused a lot of research on learning and learning apps. Research into the science of learning conclusively shows that cognitively engaged, or minds-on, forms of learning improve retention and comprehension. We believe that the PowerCards toolset uniquely supports this kind of learning, beyond what currently exists in the study material creation market.

We are intently focused on getting as much information as we can and hope that these learnings will assist us as we build the optimal business model. We also want to make sure that our strategies are driven by data. We have started to flesh out our pitch and we are excited to work with our Business Mentor next week.

On the communications and operations side, we have begun to post more consistently to our Twitter account and we will try to engage our audience more in the next weeks. We also decided to move our internal weekly touchpoint from Fridays to Mondays. At this point in the programme, we think that shifting our meetings to the start of the week would suit us better as we would not only be reviewing updates from the previous week but would also be setting our plan of action for the succeeding days.