Long considered the defining work in Hepatology, this trusted 2-volume masterwork has been refocused to zero in on just the clinical knowledge you need to provide today's best patient care. The most comprehensive text on the subject, this book is still thoroughly grounded in basic science—but now that science is focused on the most clinically relevant developments. Find definitive coverage of all aspects of liver disease in a new full-color format that keeps pace with your evolving practice. Log on to www.hepatologytext.com to find the entire contents of the 2-volume set online and fully searchable for speedy consultation wherever you go, plus a downloadable image collection for your presentations.
- Covers all liver diseases currently seen in clinical practice—in two clinically focused volumes.
- Replaces previous editions' basic science section with the new, more concise "Pathophysiology of Therapeutic Targets" section.
- Highlights key references, all current and up to date, to help you get straight to the significant literature.
- Contains new contributions from recognized experts worldwide.
- Presents hundreds of detailed illustrations, now in full color!
SECTION I: Pathophysiology of the Liver
1. Anatomy of the Liver
2. Liver Regeneration
3. Mechanisms of Liver Cell Destruction
4. Pharmacogenetics: Focus on the Liver
5. Mechanisms of Bile Secretion
6. Hepatic Fibrosis and Cirrhosis
7. Replication of Hepatitis B Virus and Pathogenesis of Disease
8. Replication and Pathogenesis of Hepatitis C Virus
9. The Liver and the Immune System
10. Molecular Pathogenesis of Hepatocellular Carcinoma
11. Stem Cells and Hepatocyte Transplantation
SECTION II: Approach to the Patient with Liver Disease
12. Liver Biopsy Techniques
13. Liver Biopsy Histopathology
14. Laboratory Testing for Liver Disease
15. Critical Evaluation of the Specificity and Sensitivity of Liver Imaging
16. Evaluation of the Specificity and Sensitivity of Biliary Imaging
17. Transjugular Intrahepatic Portosystemic Shunt (TIPS)
SECTION III: Clinical Consequences of Liver Disease
18. Hepatic Encephalopathy
20. Portal Hypertension and Bleeding Esophageal Varices
21. Acute Liver Failure
22. Renal Dysfunction in Cirrhosis: Pathophysiology, Clinical Features and Therapy
23. Clinical Consequences of Liver Disease: Cardiovascular
24. Pulmonary Complications in Patients with Liver Disease
25. Hematopoietic Abnormalities and Hemostasis
SECTION IV: Toxin Mediated Liver Injury
26. Drug-Induced Liver Injury
27. Hepatotoxicity of Herbal Preparations
28. Occupational and Environmental Hepatotoxicity
29. Alcoholic Liver Disease
SECTION V: Liver Diseases Due to Infectious Agents
30. Hepatitis A
31. Hepatitis B
32. Hepatitis C
33. Hepatitis D
- No. of pages:
- © Saunders 2006
- 16th May 2006
- eBook ISBN:
- Hardcover ISBN:
John J. Lee Professor of Medicine, Director, Arizona Liver Institute, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ
Chief, Division of Gastroenterology, Veterans' Affairs Medical Center, San Francisco, CA
Professor and Chairman, Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Endocrinology, Medical School Hannover, Hannover, Germany Professor and Chairman Professor of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Endocriminology
“Strives to provide everything a student of liver disease needs to know in one place and…achieves this lofty goal.”—JAMA, review of the previous edition.