Prepare for licensure and your transition to practice! Organized around the issues in today's constantly changing healthcare environment Yoder-Wise's Leading & Managing in Canadian Nursing, 2nd Edition offers an innovative approach to leading and managing by merging theory, research, and practical application. This cutting-edge text is intuitively organized around the issues that are central to the success of Canadian nurses including cultural diversity, resource management, advocacy, patient safety, delegation, and communication. In addition, it provides just the right amount of information to equip you with the tools you need to master leadership and management – all to help prepare you for clinical practice!
- UNIQUE! Each chapter opens with A Challenge, where practicing nurse leaders/managers offer their real-world views of a concern related in the chapter, encouraging you to think about how you would handle the situation.
- UNIQUE! A Solution closes each chapter with an effective method to handle the real-life situation presented in A Challenge and demonstrates the ins and outs of problem-solving in practice.
- Innovative content and presentation, merge theory, research and professional practice in key leadership and management areas.
- An array of pedagogical elements includes chapter objectives, glossary terms, exercises, Research Perspectives, Literature Perspectives, Theory Boxes, chapter checklists, tips, and references.
- Intuitively organized content and clear and unbiased writing style facilitates learning of theory and complex concepts.
- Inviting and well-structured full-colour design enhances your learning by being able to find information quickly and easily, providing visual reinforcement of concepts.
Part I: Core Concepts
1. Leading, Managing, and Following
2. Developing the Role of Leader
3. Developing the Role of Manager
4. Nursing Leadership and Indigenous Health
5. Patient Focus
6. Ethical Issues
7. Legal Issues
8. Making Decisions and Solving Problems
9. Health Care Organizations
10. Understanding and Designing Organizational Structures
11. Cultural Diversity in Health Care
12. Power, Politics, and Influence
Part II: Managing Resources
13. Caring, Communicating, and Managing with Technology
14. Managing Costs and Budgets
15. Care Delivery Strategies
16. Staffing and Scheduling (available only on Evolve)
17. Selecting, Developing, and Evaluating Staff (available only on Evolve)
Part III: Changing the Status Quo
18. Strategic Planning, Goal-Setting, and Marketing
19. Nurses Leading Change: A Relational Emancipatory Framework for Health and Social Action
20. Building Teams Through Communication and Partnerships
21. Collective Nursing Advocacy
22. Understanding Quality, Risk, and Safety
23. Translating Research into Practice
Part IV: Interpersonal and Personal Skills
24. Understanding and Resolving Conflict
25. Managing Personal/Personnel Problems
26. Workplace Violence and Incivility
27. Inter and Intraprofessional Practice and Leading in Professional Practice Settings
28. Role Transition
29. Self-Management: Stress and Time
30. Thriving for the Future
31. Leading and Managing Your Career
32. Nursing Students as Leaders
- No. of pages:
- © Mosby Canada 2020
- 19th January 2015
- Mosby Canada
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Patricia S. Yoder-Wise, RN, EdD, NEA-BC, ANEF, FAAN
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, Lubbock, TX
Janice I. Waddell, RN, MA, PhD
Professor, Daphne Cockwell School of Nursing, Yeates School of Graduate Studies, Ryerson University, Toronto, Ontario
Nancy A. Walton, RN, PhD
Director and Associate Professor, Daphne Cockwell School of Nursing, Ryerson University, Toronto, Ontario Chair, Research Ethics Board, Women’s College Hospital, Toronto, Ontario
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.