Get real-life practice in insurance billing and coding! Corresponding to the chapters in Fordney's Insurance Handbook for the Medical Office, 12th Edition, this workbook provides realistic, hands-on exercises that help you apply concepts and develop important critical-thinking skills. Study tools include chapter overviews, key terms, chapter review exercises, and workbook assignments. A companion Evolve website includes patient simulations for additional practice in real-world billing.
- Online Student Software Challenge contains 10 patient cases that you can use to complete the CMS-1500 claim form.
- Performance objectives make learning easier by highlighting what you need to accomplish in each chapter.
- Key Terms and Key Abbreviations provide a quick reference to the health insurance terminology you need to know.
- Study outline focuses your review by listing key points for each chapter in the textbook.
- Self-study review exercises include matching, true/false, multiple-choice, and fill-in-the-blank questions to help you practice and remember important material.
- Critical-thinking assignments help you apply theory to practice, using short, real-world scenarios to prepare you for working in today's medical office.
- Evolve resources include the Student Software Challenge, self-assessment quizzes, and web links for further research and study.
Unit One: Career Role and Responsibilities
1. Role of an Insurance Billing Specialist
2. HIPAA Compliance and Privacy in Insurance Billing
Unit Two: The Claims Process
3. Basics of Health Insurance
4. Medical Documentation
5. Diagnostic Coding
6. Procedural Coding
7. The Paper Claim: CMS-1500
8. Electronic Data Interchange: Transactions and Security
9. Receiving Payments and Insurance Problem Solving
10. Office and Insurance Collection Strategies
Unit Three: Health Care Payers
11. The Blue Plans, Private Insurance, and Managed Care Plans
13. Medicaid and Other State Programs
14. TRICARE and CHAMPVA
15. Workers' Compensation
16. Disability Income Insurance and Disability Benefit Insurance
Unit Four: Inpatient and Outpatient Billing
17. Hospital Billing
Unit Five: Employment
18. Seeking a Job and Attaining Professional Advancement
- No. of pages:
- © Saunders 2012
- 24th October 2011
- eBook ISBN:
Formerly, Instructor of Medical Insurance, Medical Terminology, Medical Machine Transcription, and Medical Office Procedures, Ventura College, Ventura, CA