Corresponding to the chapters in Health Insurance Today, 4th Edition, this workbook lets you practice the skills you will need to succeed as a health insurance professional. Practical assignments reinforce the information in the text, and learning activities and exercises challenge you to apply your knowledge to real-world situations.
- Case studies ask you to solve a real-world problem related to health insurance, such as completing a CMS-1500 claim form or explaining how HIPAA could affect someone recently out of work.
- Critical Thinking activities strengthen your ability to apply health insurance concepts to a variety of challenging situations.
- Performance objectives include hands-on, application-based learning activities in areas such as completing claim forms, posting payments to a patient's ledger, filling out Release to Return to Work forms, and filling out Medicare appeals.
- Chapter assessments test your knowledge of text content with multiple choice, true/false, short answer, fill-in-the-blank, and matching questions.
- Application exercises ask you to apply your knowledge and skills to real-world situations.
- Defining Chapter Terms help you review and understand key terms in each chapter.
- Problem solving/collaborative (group) activities emphasize the importance of teamwork in the health care field.
- In-class projects and discussion topics enhance your understanding of specific content from the text.
- Internet Exploration exercises in each chapter help you learn how to perform research online.
Unit 1: Building a Foundation
1. The Origins of Health Insurance
2. Tools of the Trade: A Career as a Health (Medical) Insurance Professional
3. The Legal and Ethical Side of Medical Insurance
4. Types and Sources of Health Insurance
Unit 2: Health Insurance Basics
5. Claim Submission Methods
6. Traditional Fee-For-Service/Private Plans
7. Unraveling the Mysteries of Managed Care
8. Understanding Medicaid
9. Conquering Medicare's Challenges
10. Military Carriers
11. Miscellaneous Carriers: Worker's Compensation and Disability Insurance
Unit 3: Cracking the Codes
12. Diagnostic Coding
13. Procedural, Evaluation & Management and HCPCS Coding
Unit 4: The Claims Process
14. The Patient
15. The Claim
Unit 5: Advanced Application
16. The Role of Computers in Health Insurance
17. Reimbursement Procedures: Getting Paid
18. Hospital Claim Form: The UB-04
- No. of pages:
- © Saunders 2013
- 4th October 2012
- eBook ISBN:
Southeastern Community College (retired), Administrative Instructor, Medical Assistant Program, West Burlington, IA, USA