Corresponding to the chapters in Health Insurance Today, 6th Edition, this workbook lets you practice the skills you will need to succeed as a health insurance professional. Practical assignments reinforce the information in the text, and learning activities and exercises challenge you to apply your knowledge to real-world situations. This new edition incorporates the latest information surrounding ICD-10, the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, and other timely federal influencers. Additionally, application exercises, critical thinking activities, and case studies allow you to apply critical thinking skills to solve a problem or answer a question.
- Performance objectives include hands-on, application-based learning activities with practice in areas such as completing claim forms, posting payments to a patient's ledger, filling out "Release to Return to Work" forms, and filling out Medicare appeals.
- Critical thinking activities strengthen your ability to apply health insurance concepts to a variety of challenging situations. Includes Stop and Think exercises which allow you to apply critical thinking skills to problem solving.
- Defining Chapter Terms activities help you review and understand key terms in each chapter.
- Chapter assessments test your knowledge of text content with multiple choice, true/false, short answer, fill-in-the-blank, and matching questions.
- Problem solving/collaborative (group) activities emphasize the importance of teamwork in the health care field.
- Case studies ask you to solve a real-world problem related to health insurance, such as completing a CMS-1500 claim form or explaining how HIPAA could affect someone recently out of work.
- Application exercises ask you to apply your knowledge and skills to real-world situations.
- In-class projects and discussion topics enhance your understanding of specific content from the text.
- Internet Exploration exercises in each chapter help you learn how to perform research online.
Unit 1: Building a Foundation
1. The Origins of Health Insurance
2. Tools of the Trade: A Career as a Health (Medical) Insurance Professional
3. The Legal and Ethical Side of Medical Insurance
4. Healthcare Reform: Coverage Types and Sources
Unit 2: Health Insurance Basics
5. Claim Submission Methods
6. New and Traditional Reimbursement Methods
7. The Changing Face of Medicare
8. Understanding Medicaid
9. Conquering Medicare’s Challenges
10. Military Carriers
11. Miscellaneous Carriers: Workers’ Compensation and Disability Insurance
Unit 3: Cracking the Codes
12. Diagnostic Coding
13. Procedural, Evaluation and Management, and HCPCS Coding
Unit 4: The Claims Process
14. The Patient
15. Keys to Successful Claims Management
Unit 5: Advanced Application
16. The Role of Computers in Health Insurance
17. Reimbursement Procedures: Getting Paid
18. Hospital Billing and the UB-04
- No. of pages:
- © Saunders 2018
- 30th September 2017
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- Paperback ISBN:
Southeastern Community College (retired), Administrative Instructor, Medical Assistant Program, West Burlington, IA, USA