Learn the latest nutrition and diet therapies for treating common diseases. Williams' Essentials of Nutrition & Diet Therapy, 12th Edition offers a solid foundation in the fundamental knowledge and skills you need to provide effective patient care. It addresses nutrition across the lifespan and includes the 2015 Dietary Goals for Americans as well as MyPlate for Older Adults. This exceptionally reader-friendly text features evidence-based information, real-world case scenarios, colorful illustrations, boxes, and tables to help you learn how to apply essential nutrition concepts and therapies in clinical practice.
- Strong community focus is threaded throughout with robust coverage of health promotion, cultural competence, patient safety, lifespan, and public health issues.
- Focus on Culture boxes introduce you to cultural competence and the special nutritional needs, health problems, and appropriate interventions applicable to different cultural, ethnic, racial and age groups.
- Focus on Food Safety boxes alert you to food safety issues related to a particular nutrient, age group, or medical condition.
- Health Promotion section devoted solely to health promotion and wellness stresses healthy lifestyle choices and prevention as the best "medicine."
- Diet-Medication Interactions boxes provide diet-warnings related to specific prescription drugs.
- Evidence-Based Practice boxes summarize current research findings.
- Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) boxes offer uses, contraindications, and advantages/disadvantages of common types of herbs and supplements and potential interactions with prescription or over-the-counter medications.
- Perspective in Practice boxes supply you with practice elements for nutrition education.
- Key terms identified in the text and defined on the page help reinforce critical concepts.
PART 1: INTRODUCTION TO HUMAN NUTRITION
1. Nutrition and Health
2. Digestion, Absorption, and Metabolism
7. Minerals and Water
8. Energy Balance
PART 2: COMMUNITY NUTRITION AND THE LIFE CYCLE
9. Food Selection and Food Safety
10. Community Nutrition: Promoting Healthy Eating
11. Nutrition During Pregnancy and Lactation
12. Nutrition for Normal Growth and Development
13. Nutrition for Adults: Early, Middle, and Later Years
14. Nutrition and Physical Fitness
15. The Complexity of Obesity: Beyond Energy Balance
PART 3: INTRODUCTION TO CLINICAL NUTRITION
16. Nutrition Assessment and Nutrition Therapy in Patient Care
17. Metabolic Stress
18. Drug-Nutrient Interactions
19. Nutrition Support: Enteral and Parenteral Nutrition
20. Gastrointestinal Diseases
21. Diseases of the Heart, Blood Vessels, and Lungs
22. Diabetes Mellitus
23. Renal Disease
24. Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome (AIDS)
A. Body Mass Index: Obesity Values
B. Food Sources of Oxalates
C. Calculation Aids and Conversion Tables
D. Federal Food Assistance Programs
- No. of pages:
- © Mosby 2019
- 25th September 2018
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- Paperback ISBN:
Professor and Extension Specialist, Department of Human Nutrition, Foods, and Exercise, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, VA