- Case studies illustrate key concepts in authentic, "real-life" scenarios that reinforce learning and promote nutritional applications.
- Cultural Content boxes highlight the critical, yet often overlooked, role culture plays in nutrition — a role that is becoming more important as the population becomes more diverse.
- Feature boxes spotlight newsworthy issues related to the chapter topic, including:
- Diet–Medications Interactions — dietary warnings related to specific prescription drugs.
- Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) — information on the uses, contraindications, and advantages/disadvantages of common herbs and supplements.
- Focus on Food Safety — important storage and preparation considerations for preventing food-borne illness.
- Health Promotion sections in each chapter emphasize the importance of health promotion and wellness as part of an effort to stress healthy lifestyle choices and prevention as the best "medicine."
- Websites of Interest at the end of every chapter lists reliable Internet resources for further study and exploration of various nutrition topics.
- Key terms are highlighted throughout the text with definitions on the same page for instant reference.
- Includes complimentary online access to Nutritrac 5.0, the latest version of Mosby’s premier nutrition and exercise management program that features over 1,000 new foods and enhanced functionality.
Part 1: Introduction to Human Nutrition
- Nutrition and Health
- Digestion, Absorption, and Metabolism
Part 2: Community Nutrition & The Life Cycle
- The Food Environment and Food Safety
- Community Nutrition: Promoting Healthy Eating
- Nutrition During Pregnancy and Lactation
- Nutrition for Normal Growth and Development
- Nutrition for Adults: Early, Middle, and Later Years
- Nutrition and Physical Fitness
- The Complexity of Obesity: Beyond Energy Balance
Part 3: Introduction to Clinical Nutrition
- Nutrition Assessment and Nutrition Therapy in Patient Care
- Metabolic Stress
- Drug-Nutrient Interactions
- Nutrition Support: Enteral and Parenteral Nutrition
- Gastrointestinal Diseases
- Diseases of the Heart, Blood Vessels, and Lungs
- Diabetes Mellitus
- Renal Disease
- Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome (AIDS)
A. Body Mass Index: Obesity Values
B. Choose Your Foods: Exchange Lists for Diabetes
C. Food Sources of Oxalates
D. Calculation Aids and Conversion Tables