From basic nutrition principles to the latest nutrition therapies for common diseases, Williams’ Essentials of Nutrition & Diet Therapy, 10th Edition, Revised Reprint offers a solid foundation in the fundamental knowledge and skills you need to provide effective patient care. Authors Eleanor Schlenker and Sara Long address nutrition across the life span and within the community, with an emphasis on health promotion and the effects of culture and religion on nutrition. The revised edition has been updated with current government dietary guidelines, including the new MyPlate recommendations. Other key topics include childhood obesity, metabolic syndrome, diabetes, and food safety. Plus, evidence-based information and real-world case scenarios help you learn how to apply essential nutrition concepts and therapies in clinical practice.
- Case studies illustrate key concepts in authentic, "real-life" scenarios that reinforce learning and promote nutritional applications.
- Cultural Content boxes highlight the critical, yet often overlooked, role culture plays in nutrition — a role that is becoming more important as the population becomes more diverse.
- Feature boxes spotlight newsworthy issues related to the chapter topic, including:
- Diet–Medications Interactions — dietary warnings related to specific prescription drugs.
- Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) — information on the uses, contraindications, and advantages/disadvantages of common herbs and supplements.
- Focus on Food Safety — important storage and preparation considerations for preventing food-borne illness.
- Health Promotion sections in each chapter emphasize the importance of health promotion and wellness as part of an effort to stress healthy lifestyle choices and prevention as the best "medicine."
- Websites of Interest at the end of every chapter lists reliable Internet resources for further study and exploration of various nutrition topics.
- Key terms are highlighted throughout the text with definitions on the same page for instant reference.
- Includes complimentary online access to Nutritrac 5.0, the latest version of Mosby’s premier nutrition and exercise management program that features over 1,000 new foods and enhanced functionality.
Part 1: Introduction to Human Nutrition
- Nutrition and Health
- Digestion, Absorption, and Metabolism
- The Food Environment and Food Safety
- Community Nutrition: Promoting Healthy Eating
- Nutrition During Pregnancy and Lactation
- Nutrition for Normal Growth and Development
- Nutrition for Adults: Early, Middle, and Later Years
- Nutrition and Physical Fitness
- The Complexity of Obesity: Beyond Energy Balance
- Nutrition Assessment and Nutrition Therapy in Patient Care
- Metabolic Stress
- Drug-Nutrient Interactions
- Nutrition Support: Enteral and Parenteral Nutrition
- Gastrointestinal Diseases
- Diseases of the Heart, Blood Vessels, and Lungs
- Diabetes Mellitus
- Renal Disease
- Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome (AIDS)
Part 2: Community Nutrition & The Life Cycle
Part 3: Introduction to Clinical Nutrition
A. Body Mass Index: Obesity Values
B. Choose Your Foods: Exchange Lists for Diabetes
C. Food Sources of Oxalates
D. Calculation Aids and Conversion Tables
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Professor and Extension Specialist, Department of Human Nutrition, Foods, and Exercise, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, VA
Professor and Director, Didactic Program in Dietetics, Department of Animal Science, Food, and Nutrition, Southern Illinois University Carbondale, Carbondale, IL