- Be able to practice emergency medicine outside of the traditional hospital/clinical setting whether you are in remote environments, underdeveloped but highly populated areas, or disaster areas, are part of search and rescue operations, or dealing with casualties from episodes of extreme sports and active lifestyle activities.
- Face any medical challenge in the wilderness with expert guidance: Dr. Auerbach is a noted author and the world's leading authority on wilderness medicine. He is a founder and Past President of the Wilderness Medical Society, consultant to the Divers Alert Network and many other agencies and organizations, and a member of the National Medical Committee for the National Ski Patrol System.
- Handle everything from frostbite to infection by marine microbes, not to mention other diverse injuries, bites, stings, poisonous plant exposures, animal attacks, and natural disasters.
- Grasp the essential aspects of search and rescue.
- Respond quickly and effectively by improvising with available materials.
- Improve your competency and readiness with the latest guidance on volcanic eruptions, extreme sports, splints and slings, wilderness cardiology, living off the land, aerospace medicine, mental health in the wilderness, tactical combat casualty care, and much more.
- Meet the needs and special considerations of specific patient populations such as children, women, elders, persons with chronic medical conditions, and the disabled.
- Make smart decisions about gear, navigation, nutrition, and survival.
1 High-Altitude Medicine and Physiology 2
2 Avalanches 33
3 Lightning Injuries 60
Cold and Heat
4 Thermoregulation 104
5 Accidental Hypothermia 116
6 Immersion Into Cold Water 143
7 Nonfreezing Cold-Induced Injuries 171
8 Frostbite 181
9 Polar Medicine 201
10 Pathophysiology of Heat-Related Illnesses 215
11 Clinical Management of Heat-Related
Burns, Fire, and Radiation
12 Wildland Fires: Dangers and Survival 240
13 Emergency Care of the Burned Victim 280
14 Exposure to Radiation From the Sun 294
15 Volcanic Eruptions, Hazards, and Mitigation 314
Injuries and Medical Interventions
16 Injury Prevention: Decision Making, Safety,
and Accident Avoidance 334
17 Principles of Pain Management 354
18 Taping and Bandaging 363
19 Splints and Slings 375
20 Emergency Airway Management 392
21 Wilderness Trauma and Surgical
22 Wound Management 434
23 Improvised Medicine in the Wilderness 442
24 Hunting and Fishing Injuries 475
25 Tactical Medicine 488
26 Combat and Casualty Care 507
27 Wilderness Orthopedics 523
28 The Eye in the Wilderness 561
29 Foot Problems and Care 580
30 Wilderness Dentistry 594
31 Management of Facial Injuries 608
32 Wilderness Cardiology 628
33 Wilderness Neurology 635
34 Chronic Diseases and Wilderness Activities 645
35 Mental Health in the Wilderness 664
Rescue and Survival
36 Wilderness Emergency Medical Services and
Response Systems 674
37 Search and Rescue 687
38 Technical Rescue, Self-Rescue, and Evacuation 710
39 Litters and Carries 738